A&H

Junior/Youth Interesting match and exorcising old demons

SLI39

A match from Saturday to discuss belatedly:
U14 yellows vs. reds: shortly after I arrived, I overheard the home manager stressing the importance of the match to his players (top of the table six pointer, of which I had no prior knowledge), so I prepared myself for a potentially difficult game.
As soon as the match starts (he also oversees the toss and questions the decision as to which end his team will play in!), I realise the away manager will be my greatest obstacle to match control. However, he most certainly isn't one of those who strike fear into referees with an aggressive attitude that rarely moves far from the surface; rather, he is like a woodpigeon's high-pitched chirruping, which becomes irksome, but never threatening. The first minor dissent concerns a foul throw I am just about to award in his side's favour (incidentally, one pleasure of open age must be the relaxation from internal debates about the legitimacy of a throw!), and I make it clear straight away that such comments will not be tolerated (home manager supports me here heartily as well).
Thereafter, one of those games where nothing much happens (away side takes the lead mid-way through the first half) with which the referee needs to deal until a huge incident right at the end of the first half which will define the match and my authority. Ball very close to going out for a goal kick, but yellows (home side) retain possession, and as the attacking player enters the penalty area, he is tripped by a red. All happens in the blink of an eye. I know it's a foul and I require a second or two of thinking to decide that it occurred in the area. Very dramatic end to the half, which jars with a rather dull match up to that point. Of course, the away manager disputes it with some passion; nothing that fazes me, but I see the two coaches squaring up, so I feel I must intervene.
I tell them that my decision is final and advise them to go back to their respective positions (unfortunately my back is to the field of play, so assessor marks would have suffered in that respect). I am told that coaches are allowed anywhere along the line, so there are no technical areas per se (no Respect barrier either, but almost everyone is staying the recommended distance from the field of play): could anyone here confirm these rules for youth football?
Anyway, the penalty is missed after the brief delay and it remains 1-0. It transpires that the away manager was guilty of the same behaviour in the reverse fixture, and I receive some compliments at half time (and full time) for my handling of the above situation. Although it's slightly uncomfortable to hear praise from a club official during the match--I do not let it pierce my mechanical self-control that must endure for the length of every match--it is very gratifying to obtain such feedback from parents etc. when on the very same pitch almost four years earlier I underwent the nadir of my refereeing career, a horrendous day refereeing U17s after which I had a year's intermission from officiating.
Even a welfare officer for the home club approaches me and says I've refereed well, but he has spoken to the offending individual. For me it's all a bit strange, as there has been no adrenaline surge: it's not a tough game, though others have the impression that it is. I permit the possibility that I have progressed as a referee. The second half is relatively uneventful, perhaps because that crucial decision indicated I wouldn't wilt under pressure. Overall, it was a good day's work.

Thank you for your patience with a long post! Let me know if I should have done anything differently. For instance, should I have asked the away manager to leave and was I unfair to make the penalty-taker wait?

The Referee Store
Is it possible that the away manager was kicking up a fuss about the penalty as he wanted to put the attacker off, so to speak?

Couple of points:

1) - Why was the home manager involved in the toss? It should be the 2 captains only, even at U14.
2) - Coaches squaring up at a kids game would be a massive no no for me. Completely against the respect guidelines. I would have been asking them both to leave.

no Respect barrier either, but almost everyone is staying the recommended distance from the field of play): could anyone here confirm these rules for youth football?

....was I unfair to make the penalty-taker wait?

One of the requirements for youth clubs/leagues to obtain FA charter standard accreditation is that they demonstrate they are following and committed to the FA Respect Codes of Conduct part of which is the use of "respect barriers". It's my understanding that whilst a physical barrier is preferred, for example a tape/rope with posts to support it which are usually about waist height, these are not compulsory. Some clubs will set out cones or there maybe a line painted outside of the pitch. If the FA reduced the price of their official respect barriers, it might encourage more clubs to purchase them!

Any delay in the taking of a penalty is unfair to the attacking side, however you %100 correct in dealing with the touchline incident prior to the taking of the penalty. It's unfortunate for the side awarded the penalty, but virtually every penalty at professional level has some kind of delay from the award to the taking of the kick due to substitutions, swapping keepers, cards, confrontations, time wasting, gamesmanship etc.

During a recent u13s match, an away (green) player went in on a home (yellow) player with a firm but fair challenge close to the touchline and halfway, where both sets of coaches and the away team club linesman was standing, which resulted in the ball going out of play for a throw. The home player in question has developed a bit of a reputation for exaggerating challenges on him, so it was no surprise when he appealed for a foul. I responded with a firm "fair tackle, yellow throw" and play continued with the away side advancing into the home side's half. Just as the ball went out of play, I could hear a few verbals coming from the coaches area. I delayed the throw and looked round to see a home team coach and the away teams CAR exchanging differing views on the previous challenge in front of them. Didn't want to get drawn into an argument, but at the same time felt I needed to put a stop to it before play continued. So without singling out any individuals, I loudly reminded the coaching staff of both sides and the CAR that they were supposed to be responsible adults and to remember that this was an u13s match. Fortunately, it put an instant stop to it. I didn't hear it myself and wasn't made aware of it until after the game that the away CAR had allegedly accused the home team player of diving :mad::eek:

As for churppy managers, possibly one of the biggest pains in the backside I have come across was an u12s manager last season, constant undertone of mumbling and questioning of virtually every decision from start to finish which rubbed off onto his players. He even threatened to report me "for being confrontational" because I told him to quieten down, remember where he was and keep his opinions to himself! Probably shouldn't have, but also told him by all means go ahead and report me, I look forward to it! Either it got lost in the post or he didn't bother as I never heard another word about it. Probably thought better of it after reflecting on his own and his assistant's disgraceful behaviour which got worse throughout the game! A few weeks later was reading the local paper online when I saw his picture and that he is a traffic cop! :mad::eek:

Last edited:
Thank you for everyone's contributions, and I will take the advice to advance my refereeing. I should clarify, for the benefit of anyone who misunderstood my original post, that it was the away manager who strolled over to witness the toss. It's never happened to me before, so it didn't occur to me to ask him to leave the vicinity. It was just strange that about ten seconds before kick off he asked to switch sides when he had heard his captain choose to keep their pre-match end minutes before. Talk about arguing for arguing's sake!
Also, regarding the penalty incident, I agree it was unfortunate that the attacking team had to wait, but I cannot believe there was enough cunning on the part of the away manager deliberately to delay the taking of it. It was more clutching at straws about its having been awarded.
Lastly, the managers gave no indication at all that violence would ensue; they were just bickering. If the former had been the case, I would have sought to defuse the situation more forcefully and, depending on the severity of the clash, asked them to leave.

Thank you for everyone's contributions, and I will take the advice to advance my refereeing. I should clarify, for the benefit of anyone who misunderstood my original post, that it was the away manager who strolled over to witness the toss. It's never happened to me before, so it didn't occur to me to ask him to leave the vicinity. It was just strange that about ten seconds before kick off he asked to switch sides when he had heard his captain choose to keep their pre-match end minutes before. Talk about arguing for arguing's sake!
Also, regarding the penalty incident, I agree it was unfortunate that the attacking team had to wait, but I cannot believe there was enough cunning on the part of the away manager deliberately to delay the taking of it. It was more clutching at straws about its having been awarded.
Lastly, the managers gave no indication at all that violence would ensue; they were just bickering. If the former had been the case, I would have sought to defuse the situation more forcefully and, depending on the severity of the clash, asked them to leave.

Away manager should have been told to leave the FOP, and that he has no say once the captain has picked his direction.

Back