A&H

Interesting call in Norway

The Referee Store
If he’s cautioned for simulation then he is saying that there was no foul therefore he is totally incorrect in law to award a penalty.

And to not caution the gk is very weak.

If he’s cautioned for simulation then he is saying that there was no foul therefore he is totally incorrect in law to award a penalty.
According to a match writeup, #29 was cautioned for dissent, #99 for embellishment (ie, pretending to be hurt to try to draw a RC I suspect).

This statement is Incorrect.

Law 12
Cautions for unsporting behaviour
• attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)

Glossary:
Simulation
An action which creates a wrong/false impression that something has occurred when it has not (see also deceive); committed by a player to gain an unfair advantage

Deceive
Act to mislead/trick the referee into giving an incorrect decision/disciplinary sanction which benefits the deceiver and/or their team

A caution can still be given for attempting to deceive the referee into incorrectly yellow/red carding an opponent after there has been only a careless foul. In other words cautioning for simulation is not the same as saying there was no foul.

If you aren't giving a foul in this situation (it's a VERY soft one), what would you be doing? Play on but have a quick word? Free kick and yellow for simulation?

Surely smart refereeing is to give the original careless foul by the attacker on the goalkeeper while the GK is stretching to catch the ball.
Then you can decide to YC the GK for afters and/or the player for simulation.
But this is a dog's dinner. I don't think the AR is helping here. If the ref has awarded a penalty, surely it is smart AR'ing to support it and not suggest a YC for the fouled player... smart AR'ing would be to help the ref by suggesting the YC for GK...

If you aren't giving a foul in this situation (it's a VERY soft one), what would you be doing? Play on but have a quick word? Free kick and yellow for simulation?
At a recent RA meeting, Kevin Friend indicated that we should steer clear of simulation at grass roots level. That's what it is tho. I'd be telling the attacker to get a life

I don't get what's going on there.

If there was a penalty shout, give it for the holding offence #29 is committing.

If not, blow for the free kick to the keeper for the challenge whilst in possession. The rest of it looks like handbags?

Depending on mood a stern word with both or possibly a yellow for both.

Keeper is a numpty for giving the referee a decision to make & the player deserves an Oscar for his been shot in the leg performance.

Ref looked like he’d given that decision straight out of the book without giving it a second of thought or discussing with Lino.

Shocker..

Car crash refereeing..... no penalty, yellow for attacker simulation, possible one for the keepers chirp??? IDFK defending team....

oh dear, thinks its a push awards a pen, ok,then consults ar while surrounded by players, shows a yellow card to any one of 9 players, then shows a yellow to the fouled player, duh

This statement is Incorrect.

Law 12
Cautions for unsporting behaviour
• attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)

Glossary:
Simulation
An action which creates a wrong/false impression that something has occurred when it has not (see also deceive); committed by a player to gain an unfair advantage

Deceive
Act to mislead/trick the referee into giving an incorrect decision/disciplinary sanction which benefits the deceiver and/or their team

A caution can still be given for attempting to deceive the referee into incorrectly yellow/red carding an opponent after there has been only a careless foul. In other words cautioning for simulation is not the same as saying there was no foul.

To be fair I was working on the fact that the GK didn’t actually foul him....silly me!

So not only has he awarded a penalty for nothing, failed to caution the keeper for obvious dissent, he’s decided on ‘embellishment’.....

Wow... A lot here. Always easy to judge with 20/20 hindsight but..... Am I the only one that saw the attacker challenge for the ball leading with his hand/arms above his head? Looked like the 1st foul was by him and it was missed. it looks like CR missed the attacker jumping to challenge a ball the keeper was going to get without question and the attacker jumped with his arms high above his head rather than trying to head the ball. It appeared the attacker may have made contact with the GK's face based upon his reaction. Looking at the replay.... CR had decent position but looked to be screened by at least two players from seening the initial foul by the attacker (ok... ignoring the ridiculous hold by the defender in front of CR when the cross came in). I see the root of all of this being the 1st foul being missed. Now the GK changes direction to go right at him to let attacker know what he thought and yes there is a push. It is very minor but a push (which is embellished by attacker).

Now here is what I would say HAD THE CR SEEN EVERYTHING (still ignoring the blatant hold prior to the main incident). DFK coming out for the foul by the attacker against the GK. YC to the GK for the retaliation and I could go either way on the YC to the attacker for the simulation (actions attempting to deceive the referee in an effort to affect the disciplinary decision). I'd probably lean towards no YC for the attacker. He went down harder than he should have but he did not roll around feigning injury. Depends on the temperature of the match and what had gone on previously.

Now as to what did happen - CR missed the 1st foul by the attacker. Did see the retaliation. Was it a foul.... Yes. The referee not seeing everything is a risk you take by not keeping your cool. If you call the foul.... it is a PK. GK should have gotten a quick yellow for the dissent or DRP when he pounded his fist and stormed away taking the ball. The CR allowed a crowd of defenders to pursue him protesting. Pick one and YC them. Deal with that IMMEDIATELY. At one point he had 13 players from both teams around him (8 from the defending team including the GK who he should have YC'd already).

Easy for me to say as I wasn't the one there. These are really stressful and difficult. I applaud the CR for the intestinal fortitude to call the PK. It would have been better had he seen the 1st foul. I don't have a problem with the simulation YC. I wouldn't have a problem with someone not giving it either. All ITOOR. I'm glad you posted this video. It just reinforces in my mind how quickly something can escalate and how quickly it can get worse if you don't address it. I will be quick on my YC's if I am confronted with something like this :) We all learn from each other's experiences.

Reactions: one
Well this was an absurd decision. If the player didn't fall, would you still give the foul? That's what the referee needed to ask himself.

And of course he wouldn't have. There was the lightest of contact. You'd struggle to qualify calling that a push. If the player stayed on his feet there'd be no foul.

I can't believe the referee has fallen for this dive.

Can you award a foul and a card for simulation? I think you can...if it's still clear that the 'foul' has affected the player and they've chosen to go down after. Eg an attacker with ball at feet, is tripped a little, stumbles, loses the ball as he regains his feet (thus impact on play), then takes a flying dive.
Or if there's a foul, and the player is rolling around telling you he's been decapitated.

But neither is what occurred here. Keeper did nothing, player dropped. There's no complication here, it's a dive, the attacker should have been booked, move on. What SHOULD have happened is very simple.

Keeper should have been booked for his antics. Screaming at the ref then the AR. Referee needed to deal with that.
At a recent RA meeting, Kevin Friend indicated that we should steer clear of simulation at grass roots level. That's what it is tho. I'd be telling the attacker to get a life

Oh well now I've heard it all. What other laws should we ignore at grassroots?
Or at what level is cheating okay at? :wall::wall::rolleyes:

Oh well now I've heard it all. What other laws should we ignore at grassroots?
Or at what level is cheating okay at?
I know, I wasn't overly impressed with KF's Q&A
Maybe when cautioning a Dog & Duck nutcase, the word 'embellishment' might be better placed than 'cheat', if you're planning on appearing in any Colgate adverts!

Back