A&H

Injuries and Penalty Kicks

lincs22

Supply League Observer
Staff member
Observer/Tutor
Just a thought from the WC. If a player has left the FOP though injury and it not replaced, where does he stand for taking a penalty kick?

Tripper went off for England and the end of the WCSF, and got me thinking would he have to take a kick as one of the 11. We know a dismissed player reduces the other side by one, but what about an injuries player. Does it make a difference if he off the FOP, or just a walking wounded?

Anybody know the answer?

The Referee Store
I assume he's not eligible as he's not 'temporarily' off the field of play. So, Croatia would have had to remove a player on their end to even out the numbers.

I assume he's not eligible as he's not 'temporarily' off the field of play. So, Croatia would have had to remove a player on their end to even out the numbers.

this is what i would assume as well.

it does open up the scenario (no matter how unlikely!) of a player due to take his teams 11th penalty in a shoot out claiming injury, is therefore unable to take his kick and is replaced by another, more capable, penalty taker.

surely you cant force a player to take a penalty if they say they are injured?

Reactions: one
This was (kind of) discussed in another thread. Here is my answer: KFTPM with injured player off the field

So basically the referee determines if the injured player is going to take a kick or not as soon as the injury happens. If not the numbers are equalised, if yes the KFTPM proceed as usual. Where the injured player stands has very little importance.

...though “we” are taking a punt here as there is no mention of e.g. “permanently” off the FoP in the LotG. Common sense says this is what should happen...

...though “we” are taking a punt here as there is no mention of e.g. “permanently” off the FoP in the LotG. Common sense says this is what should happen...
But the fact that it says on the FOP or temporarily off FOP means that we have a degree of certainty that this does not apply to players permanently off FOP.

I agree that he should be replaced in the game. It will not be fair for the other team to bend the rule due to the circumstances.

Back