A&H

imaginary cards!

svenny76

RefChat Addict
Hi All

What are people's thought's on players waving imaginary cards at you for oppenents to get booked.

First time i'd experienced it last night, Home side players did it a couple of times, and i ignored them, keeper then commits a foul and cencedes a pen, potentially i could have given him a straight red, and was still considering it on my approach to the keeper, with that i have 4 home players shouting at me to send him off and waving imaginary cards at me.

At this point i was completely p155ed off with them and changed my mind and cautioned the keeper, i called the home side Capt over and explained the reason for my decision and he completely agreed/accepted this and began bollocking the rest of his team.

It happened once more for a caution and i said to the player if it happens again will be cautioning him for USB.

This was a local league division 4 game for christ sake!!

The Referee Store
It's one of my pet hates as a referee. If I see it happening I book the player(s) responsible and don't usually get any complaints once I explain what the booking was for.

I've heard it to be given as both @haywain but the section from LOTG was off the top of my head as I don't take it with me to school

I agree it's USB.

Never seen the imaginary card waving thing out in the wild. Didn't realise people still did it.

Yeah i couldnt believe it when it started, they were a pretty young side against an older side, and i think 1 or 2 of them were given some "friendly" advice about doing it in adult football by the oposition!!

In changing your decision you are allowing players to influence your decision, and I thinks it's a risky strategy telling the captain. In this case he took it well but if you tell a captain that you would have sent off an opponent then that doesn't look good on you. Yellow for USB using the same private, public, card warning system as with dissent.

For what it is worth, while I see southends point, I quite like what you did. Textbook in terms of law, nope. A good way of showing your annoyance at a teams behaviour, yip. You weren't being assessed so, meh.

The home team are not reffing the game, you are. A lesson they will hopefully remember.

@Southend-ref you are always sooooooo fire and brimstone! :p

The home team are not reffing the game, you are.
I agree with the point, and as it happened what @svenny76 did was effective, but I think the majority of captains would have reacted very differently. It's certainly not advisable to say to a captain "I was going to send him off but your team started annoying me so I'm not going to."

I like your school!! When do you have lunch - if that were my school then we would only have 15 mins between lunch and that break!!
Lunch starts at 12:25 and finishes at 1:15, the afternoon break ensures we don't finish at the same time as the primary school next to our lower site

If you're going to give it for anything, give it for UB but, in general, it's best not to pick a fight you don't have to. Maybe have a quick word with the skipper at some point telling him that you'll decide when to pull out the cards and to tell his boys to stop pestering you for it. Next time someone does it, you give him a public rebuking for it and, third time you can book him if it persists that far (which it oughtn't to do).

Back