A&H

IFAB's new interpretation for Law 11

The Referee Store
Are they taking the p*** with the Hull vs Man utd example?
How is it ANY different from the PNE vs Man Utd example?

@deusex they are illustrating different bullet points in the new interpretation however they are subtly different.

In the MU v Hull example under the (1st bullet point) Rojo doesn't make an attempt to play the ball - one of the 3 elements of criteria that has to be met to constitute an offence. His actions also do not impact on the goalkeepers
'S ability to play the ball as he has a clear line of sight to it and doesn't have to wait to see what Rojo does in terms of possibly playing the ball. Therefore no offence is committed.

The Rooney example (MU V Preston) is illustrating the 2nd bullet point with only 2 criteria. In this case Rooney makes a deliberate action (moves out of the way) but his position impacts on the GK as he cannot commit to making a save in case Rooney plays the ball. Hence both the criteria of the second new bullet point are met and an offside offence occurs.

A crucial element in the difference is the distance between the player concerned and the defending player that could possibly be impacted. Rooney is very close and therefore does impact, Rojo is some distance away and therefore doesn't.

I don't have a video of the Rojo one and don't remember it.
But surely the keeper cannot dive until the ball is past Rojo (unless it passes 2 yards either side of him)

Ah, now I see.

On the video of it it's clearer (I'll see if I can find a copy) but essentially the distance from goal that Rojo is and the direction of the ball means the keeper doesn't actually need to make a decision over a potential save as they are directly in line with the shot and have a clear line of vision seeing the ball coming through. That's the rationale behind the decision.

Excellent videos. Why aren't these rules just in the interpretations at the back of LOTG?
Asking lower league refs to apply offside different from EPL is asking for trouble. Oh well, not like it's them that will have to deal with it.

Back