A&H

IFAB quiz question

Dino Ref

Saw this on the app and just to make sure I'm picturing this correctly.

Am I correct that the offside "line" so to speak is drawn wherever the player off the field of play is?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200910-172749_Laws of the Game.jpg
    Screenshot_20200910-172749_Laws of the Game.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 51
The Referee Store
My translation of the answer, is that the player could be anywhere on the boundary line since he/she is either on the goal line or touchline!
Whatever, even Dell Boy would have trouble selling that Law

My translation of the answer, is that the player could be anywhere on the boundary line since he/she is either on the goal line or touchline!
Whatever, even Dell Boy would have trouble selling that Law
This was originally (many years ago!) added to law to avoid a situation where a player (including the goalkeeper!) stepped off the field to try to create an offside offence. The player leaving was treated as though he/she was on the boundary line at the point they left the f.o.p.
Never happened in the 2,000 games I officiated . . .

This was originally (many years ago!) added to law to avoid a situation where a player (including the goalkeeper!) stepped off the field to try to create an offside offence. The player leaving was treated as though he/she was on the boundary line at the point they left the f.o.p.
Yes, I'd inferred that was what they meant, but it wouldn't have been difficult to state point they left the f.o.p.

I've never seen it with a deliberate step off (which was a cautionable offense long before this tweak to Law 11), but it occasionally happens where a defender leaves the field as a natural part of a defensive challenge.

When we were taught this in our course I shuddered. This is the one I am not looking to dealing with out of every offside possibility

Reactions: one
When we were taught this in our course I shuddered. This is the one I am not looking to dealing with out of every offside possibility

The leaving across the goal line without permission (as opposed to in the course of play) is a unicorn--we'd love to hear about it if it ever happens.

The leaving across the goal line without permission (as opposed to in the course of play) is a unicorn--we'd love to hear about it if it ever happens.
This also includes defenders sliding off when they are say sliding to stop a cross. This also still counts

This also includes defenders sliding off when they are say sliding to stop a cross. This also still counts

Defenders sliding off isn't going to cause you a problem in real action--you'll already be tracking the 2LD, and one of your two defenders will just be behind the line.

(That's why I distinguished course of play, which does happen and is generally pretty straightforward, compared to the unicorn of the player walking away from the field.)

Defenders sliding off isn't going to cause you a problem in real action--you'll already be tracking the 2LD, and one of your two defenders will just be behind the line.

(That's why I distinguished course of play, which does happen and is generally pretty straightforward, compared to the unicorn of the player walking away from the field.)
Although of course, you do need to be prepared to switch your line to the newest "second last defender", which in reality will probably be the GK. Not totally straightforward, but also, definitely not as tricky as the complicated phrasing of this question/answer make it sound!

I agree the GK becoming 2LD is always a bit more challenging (and can sometimes make spectators very confused), but you've generally made that switch (unless you missed it) before the defender slid off the field.

And so does a player rolling off due to an injury. I had this last season as an AR - right in front of me and a goal was scored. No one could understand the goalscorer not being offside - even the referee couldn't understand it and told me I was wrong, that the player was offside as the defender was off the pitch.
Really tough for me as I knew I was correct and the referee was going to disallow the goal so I lied and said the player was still partly open the pitch. No one knew either way and the right conclusion was reached.

And so does a player rolling off due to an injury. I had this last season as an AR - right in front of me and a goal was scored. No one could understand the goalscorer not being offside - even the referee couldn't understand it and told me I was wrong, that the player was offside as the defender was off the pitch.
Really tough for me as I knew I was correct and the referee was going to disallow the goal so I lied and said the player was still partly open the pitch. No one knew either way and the right conclusion was reached.
It’s the build up that’s important... the injured player is only active-on-the-goal-line-for-offside until the defending has played the ball away from the goal outside the penalty area.

What happened?

(This is pretty harsh on the defending. The exact wording means that ManC could keep the ball for 5 mins and the injured def would still be considered on the line. Surely this is not the intent of the laws and it is poorly written. Surely at any time the referee can decide the injured player is no longer active - especially if e.g. the AR has told her to roll off the field...?)

Reactions: one
It’s the build up that’s important... the injured player is only active-on-the-goal-line-for-offside until the defending has played the ball away from the goal outside the penalty area.

What happened?

(This is pretty harsh on the defending. The exact wording means that ManC could keep the ball for 5 mins and the injured def would still be considered on the line. Surely this is not the intent of the laws and it is poorly written. Surely at any time the referee can decide the injured player is no longer active - especially if e.g. the AR has told her to roll off the field...?)

I think a key to remember is that the provision only applies if the player is off the field without the permission of the referee. That gives the ref some leeway.

Back