A&H

IFAB Q&A

one

RefChat Addict
58461448_1290658037769013_8664297153251770368_n.png

Seems strange to bring offside into the answer when the question seemingly has nothing to do with it. It's also misleading (not incorrect but really poorly put). It implies you consider offside when the goal is scored and it has nothing about who touched the ball last before the goal scorer. There is a lot more to consider for offside.

A more suitable answer: "Provided the scoring team has not committed an offence, for example offside, the goal stands. For the purposes of an offside offence, it does not matter if a defender is standing, sitting, lying etc."

Anyway, here is a more interesting question. What do you do if the injured defending player is the goalkeeper?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
You could tweet them your rationale?

They messed up last month I think, they put out a question and gave a very misleading answer and had to remove it with an apology!

Anyway, here is a more interesting question. What do you do if the injured defending player is the goalkeeper?

Award the goal and run away as the inevitable backlash comes my way? >_>

The by the book answer is you let play continue if you believe the injury isn't serious. The real life answer is you stop play unless you really want a brawl on your hands.

The by the book answer is you let play continue if you believe the injury isn't serious. The real life answer is you stop play unless you really want a brawl on your hands.

I think there is a practical realization here, too: A GK is not going to stay down with the ball in the attack zone unless it is serious. ("Serious," of course, means different things at different ages/levels of play.)

Side note: Stopping play for an injury with the ball at the feet of an attacker in the PA becomes a disaster of its own under the 2019-20 LOTG, as the ball will be taken from the attacker and given to the GK. (Potentially the GK could choose to give the ball back to the attacking team in the interests of fair play, but I'm dubious that will catch on now that the Laws specify what happens on DB restarts.)

i think they brought in the offside to explain that if there are two or more defenders closer to the goal line than any one attacker, regardless of the situation they are in, the goal stands.

Back