A&H

i missed a penalty!

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I reffed a game this morning and a blue player is in the area running. at speed, with a red player and the keeper rushes towards the blue player.

I saw some shoulder to shoulder contact between the red defender and blue player. No foul though.

The blue player is up and screaming at me for a penalty - which i said no to. I was 20-25 yards away with a full on view an saw nothing wrong.

At Full-time the blue team showed me a video and the keeper made a slight contact with the blue player's right leg (which i didn't even spot). In hindsight i would have given a penalty and a yellow card.

I apologised to the player and told him i just didn't see it. That said after that he put the ball over from 3 yards a few minutes later, as well as 2 other chances he wasted.

At least the player was alright about it.

The Referee Store
Don't lose sleep over it.

The blue player is up and screaming at me for a penalty
You mean appealing for a penalty? I won't be so kind to any player who is "screaming at me" in a game.
At Full-time the blue team showed me a video
Not sure if it's a good idea to watch videos form teams to prove to you you were wrong. Did you ask for incidents on video that they appealed for but you were right? 😊

Having said that, if you did watch it and you can see you haev missed something, apologies are the only way to go.

If would tell them to send me the video, I wouldn't be watching it there and then in the heat of the moment. And that's only if they were being respectful, if they were ranting and raving their video will remain unwatched.

One possible learning point is, unless it was a very fast break, 25 yards away sounds too far. Also, you talk about a full on view, but the key thing here is to have an angled view. The worst thing you can possible do is chase directly behind the players as their bodies will block your view. That's why you see the top level referees always move left as they chase a fast attack, it leaves them further away than if they ran straight but gives them that angled view.

It’s a game of angles - and without neutral assistants, sometimes impossible to see everything. If I have any doubt as to whether it’s a penalty, I’m not giving it - players will understand that, albeit, begrudgingly!

As @RustyRef says, I’d want to be on the edge of the box to look for the slightest touches. But I do understand that it can be tough it it’s on a break!

I’m always happy to see videos, after the game, and on my terms.

Had a great one recently - I gave a penalty, and it was a foul but the person fouled managed to jump into the box very cleverly to make it look inside the area - video was sent to me (about 2 months after when I had a laugh with the manager at another game) - I was happy enough to put my hands up and say, yep - excellent dive!

We are not going to get them all right, but we can do our best.

@Kent Ref is it not a bit unorthodox to be taking penalties yourself?

Jokes a side you can't spot everything. It seems your focus was on the upper body challenge and you lost sight of the keepers challenge. Angles and proximity are. Your friends here as. Others have pointed out. 👍

It’s a game of angles - and without neutral assistants, sometimes impossible to see everything. If I have any doubt as to whether it’s a penalty, I’m not giving it - players will understand that, albeit, begrudgingly!

As @RustyRef says, I’d want to be on the edge of the box to look for the slightest touches. But I do understand that it can be tough it it’s on a break!

I’m always happy to see videos, after the game, and on my terms.

Had a great one recently - I gave a penalty, and it was a foul but the person fouled managed to jump into the box very cleverly to make it look inside the area - video was sent to me (about 2 months after when I had a laugh with the manager at another game) - I was happy enough to put my hands up and say, yep - excellent dive!

We are not going to get them all right, but we can do our best.
It was a long hoof from mid way through the blue half by a blue defender. Caught me totally by surprise. I sprinted as best i can but this happened in 3 or 4 seconds.

I think i was looking at high level only (shoulders) and missed the low area. Live and learn.

It was a long hoof from mid way through the blue half by a blue defender. Caught me totally by surprise. I sprinted as best i can but this happened in 3 or 4 seconds.

I think i was looking at high level only (shoulders) and missed the low area. Live and learn.
This is why I think we should ask the Fa for referee segways!

Attachments

• 811F4722-6F04-4FF0-A152-9A34E1AE6EE2.png
    811F4722-6F04-4FF0-A152-9A34E1AE6EE2.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

I had a similar issue yesterday. I was focused on the lower half. It looked like the next event was likely to be a throw in so checking legs and feet etc, but I missed the lad come clattering in with an elbow in the back of the head. I head the appeals, but didn't see it.

Any advice on how to balance where to look and when gratefully received!

I had a similar issue yesterday. I was focused on the lower half. It looked like the next event was likely to be a throw in so checking legs and feet etc, but I missed the lad come clattering in with an elbow in the back of the head. I head the appeals, but didn't see it.

Any advice on how to balance where to look and when gratefully received!
Sounds like too close to play to me creating a tunnel vision.
But obviously I wasn't there so difficult to really give proper advice.
Suggested proximity I believe is 15-20 yards.

That gives some room for the peripheral vision to pick up any dangers.

That said we are assuming that the "elbow" actually happened as well. Often teams will say this and that happened and it couldn't be further from the truth.

It happened. I had a mentor there and it was right in front of him!

In my defence he was generous enough to say that it may have been harder to see from my angle, but he said it was a straight red. The coach immediately subbed him off and he played no further part in the rest of the match.

I was probably about 10-15 yards so you are right - possibly a bit too close for this one. If only we could tell in advance which were going to be the awkward moments! In my mind the only thing coming from that scene was a throw in.

Back