A&H

I didn’t see- which team do I award decision?

JA77

Hi

not fully qualified test but refereeing U14 girls football. If I not sure who to give decision to as I didn’t see last player before ball goes out of play. Do I give to attacking or defending team?

The Referee Store
We’ll, first, try not to be in that situation. 🙂

second, don’t rush—sometimes the players of both teams make the call obvious. (In my experience girls at the age tend to be less sneaky about trying to con the ref on TIs than the boys are. YMMV.)

third, if you have a best guess, go with it.

only then do you truly have to just make a decision. Old school was always give it to the defense because it’s safer. More modern.y, many refs go with the idea that the game needs action, so give it to the attacking team. I’m old school enough I can’t bring myself to give it the offense. But this should be a VERY rare event. Just decide on which you’ll do before you start, and then it’s the same for both teams.

Hi

not fully qualified test but refereeing U14 girls football. If I not sure who to give decision to as I didn’t see last player before ball goes out of play. Do I give to attacking or defending team?

I would be honest no matter which way i went after all options were gone

guys, sorry, i was in no position to call that, am going blue

I would be honest no matter which way i went after all options were gone

guys, sorry, i was in no position to call that, am going blue
I am of the opposite opinion. Make your decision and then call it confidently. It does have its own downfalls but it's the better of the two evils. I want to avoid a situation that red still insists it's their ball (and it well may be) and after blue restart and two passes later, blue scores.

I’m with @one on this just make the cal and don’t dig yourself holes. If you get the gripes, the answer is “I can only call it the way I see it.”

Honestly, I find myself in this situation a number of times almost every match for throw-ins as I do games solo. Legs flying, rebounds or grazing legs or boots on way out. Actually, I made a throw in call Saturday on a best guess as there was a bunch of players around the ball as it pinged out. When I made the call, I knew from the reaction of some of the players that I called it wrong. I immediately changed my mind and called it the other way. A couple of players were miffed with one saying I couldn't change my mind. I told him Yes I can and get on with it.
Normally I just call it and as I see it and if there is lots of complaints I tell them I if I'm wrong I apologise but I'm not changing my decision.
Anyone who argues with that gets a stern talking to and a last warning.
So my advise, not knowing the situation in your part of the world - get the coaches to do the line but tell them you'll make the call. If you are stuck, ask them (they'll likely tell you everytime anyway which is good, as you'll spot who is honest and not). However, if you can't do that, just make a call the best you can and stick with it right or wrong.

When I made the call, I knew from the reaction of some of the players that I called it wrong. I immediately changed my mind and called it the other way. A couple of players were miffed with one saying I couldn't change my mind. I told him Yes I can and get on with it.
You can do this, but it will also affect the way in which the players regard you and your other decisions, so in my opinion best to be avoided. What might be better in this kind of scenario is to give yourself a second or two - often the player reactions will confirm what you think you saw or the opposite (as in this case) then you can call it.

You can do this, but it will also affect the way in which the players regard you and your other decisions, so in my opinion best to be avoided. What might be better in this kind of scenario is to give yourself a second or two - often the player reactions will confirm what you think you saw or the opposite (as in this case) then you can call it.
True. I try to avoid doing it as well. I managed to bluff my way out of one recently but that was because it was just after HT, so I made some excuse about "still signalling from the first half". You tend to only have a couple of minutes in which you can get away with that one though.

Back