A&H

How to stay consistent

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Inspired by something @Padfoot mentioned. My main failing is consistency.

I can't stand dissent so tend to nip that in the bud early. But as far as tackles go whenever i played i was a little over enthusiastic shall we say. So I tend to let go more than I should. Which then means things can escalate and i need to drag things back. I've never had a major incident (touch wood). But it would be nice to control matches a bit better and rather than getting to the point of needing to be really strict, the players don't get to that point.

I'm thinking this weekend of making an effort to blow for everything, but worry will i just go the other end of the spectrum and make myself centre of attention.

Any tips would be great.

The Referee Store
A tip I picked up which I have used for years now is refereeing in 10 minute chunks. The first 10 minutes blow for everything. If they are behaving then relax a bit for the next 10 minutes and so on. If things get naughty/nasty start the 10 minute chunks from the start again by being officious. I restart the 2H by blowing for everything again. Also by doing this it helps me concentrate as I am refreshing my approach every 10 minutes.
I also hate dissent but often let tackles go with a reprimand and want to correct that in myself. Self appraisal is important if you can be honest with yourself.

Last week Our society "Aberdare Referee's" had a presentation by Mark Whitby (Welsh Premier League Referee) focused around management of the game which was fantastic and shows how to manage the game and deal with the Incidents during.
I am going try to adopt a policy of "blitz" first 15 mins and last 15 mins of each half, lots of vocal coaching to the players, 1st, 2nd warnings then use of cards.

Last week Our society "Aberdare Referee's" had a presentation by Mark Whitby (Welsh Premier League Referee) focused around management of the game which was fantastic and shows how to manage the game and deal with the Incidents during.
I am going try to adopt a policy of "blitz" first 15 mins and last 15 mins of each half, lots of vocal coaching to the players, 1st, 2nd warnings then use of cards.

Can you define "vocal coaching..."?

Don't get hung up on the warnings.......if it needs a card, it should get a card......nothing wrong with warnings, but don't use them instead of a card.

Game control,, 5 and 10 minute refereeing, first 10 mintues off both halfs and the last 5 minutes off both halfs keep it tight nice sharpe whitsle tones

Would always try and give 1st warning a quite word 2nds in front off everyone 3rd is a caution, unless they are reckless lol

Maintaining concentration is key. I use a trigger phrase which I say in my head (lol not out loud players will think your nuts).

"Breath, concentrate, go"
(Obviously taking breathe on the breath bit, getting to next position on go)

I will say it many times during a game. At a restart, after a foul or other incident or any time I notice my concentration drifting to things outside the game at hand ("wow that is a nice looking burger that pretty lady is eating on the sideline.... Wonder where she got that...." :) that has happened on one occasion)

Really helps.

IMO the ten minute chunk thing is the antithesis to consistent refereeing. I will concede that sometimes you have to be a bit more "on top of things" in the first ten to fifteen minutes of the match but aside from that, you should be consistent the whole match. Nothing is more infuriating than having a referee call one thing and then go on and allow the same thing ten minutes later with no viable explanation as to what the actual difference was other than "I just didn't think that was a foul."

As for advice on how to be consistent, I would say it actually comes down to two things which must work together: first, you must know the considerations for making specific decisions. I've posted them on here before and they are a series of questions that you must ask yourself before making any decision. Study that document until you can ask yourself those questions within the space of three seconds and you will find that your consistency will be greatly improved as you'll have an actual rubric by which to make decisions. Eventually, you'll find that you don't have to go through the questions in your head because what is and is not a foul is so implanted in your brain from repetition that you're doing it as second nature.

The second point is concentration, as Supermonkey has mentioned. When you are at 100% concentration, you will notice little things: things that differentiate and make similar two tackles. You will also be able to apply the considerations I mentioned above more quickly and accurately and, therefore, your consistency will be greatly improved.

Remember, it's very important to have the correct interpretation of events according to the FA, UEFA, IFAB and FIFA, however you can manage a match well without necessarily always having the right interpretation (allowing too much go, for example) as long as you remain consistent. The players will get used to what it is that you allow and while they may not like it, they will often accept it because it's been given the same both ways (think "Well, he's bad but at least he's equally bad for both teams" kind of comments). At that point, it's just about becoming more factually correct with your interpretations which can be aided by using learning tools such as FIFA's Futuro III video analysis etc.

IMO the ten minute chunk thing is the antithesis to consistent refereeing. I will concede that sometimes you have to be a bit more "on top of things" in the first ten to fifteen minutes of the match but aside from that, you should be consistent the whole match. Nothing is more infuriating than having a referee call one thing and then go on and allow the same thing ten minutes later with no viable explanation as to what the actual difference was other than "I just didn't think that was a foul."

We live and we learn. I never thought about it like that! By trying to be fair and let the game flow as players behave themselves I am actually being inconsistent.

As for advice on how to be consistent, I would say it actually comes down to two things which must work together: first, you must know the considerations for making specific decisions. I've posted them on here before and they are a series of questions that you must ask yourself before making any decision. Study that document until you can ask yourself those questions within the space of three seconds and you will find that your consistency will be greatly improved as you'll have an actual rubric by which to make decisions. Eventually, you'll find that you don't have to go through the questions in your head because what is and is not a foul is so implanted in your brain from repetition that you're doing it as second nature.

The second point is concentration, as Supermonkey has mentioned. When you are at 100% concentration, you will notice little things: things that differentiate and make similar two tackles. You will also be able to apply the considerations I mentioned above more quickly and accurately and, therefore, your consistency will be greatly improved.

Remember, it's very important to have the correct interpretation of events according to the FA, UEFA, IFAB and FIFA, however you can manage a match well without necessarily always having the right interpretation (allowing too much go, for example) as long as you remain consistent. The players will get used to what it is that you allow and while they may not like it, they will often accept it because it's been given the same both ways (think "Well, he's bad but at least he's equally bad for both teams" kind of comments). At that point, it's just about becoming more factually correct with your interpretations which can be aided by using learning tools such as FIFA's Futuro III video analysis etc.
ryan its nice to find someone who actually talks sense

Back