A&H

How to Log this

OldNavyRef

Level 5 Referee
So basically, crap game. Pitch had cables hanging low over it for drawing the pitch into smaller pitch as it is a school pitch.

So was a nightmare as every two seconds teams claimed the ball hit the cable when it did or didn't, obviously a goal was scored and the ball may or may not have hit the cable and the teams I was refereeing were a nightmare.

But long story short. A random player shouts I'm rubbish or some words that aren't ridiculous but enough for a sin bin. While I show him the sin bin he immediately says I'm clueless or something, so I just raise the card for a second sin bin. Finally he looks straight at me, saying im a idiot or something, but it was more the threatening body language. So I just sent him off.

So in about 20 seconds he got x2 sin bin and a straight red.

Now I am not sure how I should go about logging this. What would you do?

I'm flustered and I think my admin needs to be airtight on this one.

The Referee Store
In a nutshell:

- First caution is a sin bin.
- Second is a standard dissent caution.
- Then report your red separately.

On the second caution, mark the box that says not sent to sin bin, or words to that effect and in the text box, type that you had sent the player to the bin, but before he got there he further dissented, warranting a caution.

Copy this for your red card report too and then add on the words/actions that led to the red.

Then press send and enjoy a beverage of your choosing! It’s done and onto the next one.

Now my question here is.

When he just straight up called me an idiot on his third come back.

Would you personally mark that as a second yellow or a straight red. During the game my thinking was straight red, as I was trying to get control of the game, but this fellow wanted to let me know what he thought of me, I just wanted him out my face and not to come back.

I am trying to make sure my response is proportionate/correct in law as I think this game is likely a bit of a farse.

So 2nd yellow for c2 dissent equalling a red or straight red.

I personally feel calling someone an idiot loudly is not enough for a straight red, but the context is everyone was really losing their temper at that point and it was one of them, where I really wanted this guy gone.

Just an update, after reviewing everything in my head and taking emotion out of the situation, I have gone with:
C2 (Sin Bin);
C2;
C2;
S7.

Thanks @Tealeaf

Just an update, after reviewing everything in my head and taking emotion out of the situation, I have gone with:
C2 (Sin Bin);
C2;
C2;
S7.

Thanks @Tealeaf
You should have reported what you actually sanctioned, not what you could have sanctioned with hindsight

I'm not convinced Sin Bins have worked. No doubt the FA will boast improved dissent stats, but there's no way that's true. Sin Bins make it more difficult to caution for Dissent because the stakes are a lot higher, both for the player, but also the Referee. It's frequently reported on here that players are guilty of further dissent, once sent to the Sin Bin. Just like you should do with a dismissal, get away from the player as soon as you temporarily dismiss them. It is possible to avoid further misconduct by running away from it and suffering from temporary selective hearing. Once they come back on, the Sin Bin will usually have served it's purpose, but a double Sin Bin and further misconduct must be avoided because I'm sure that made you feel grotty. Anyway, reflect on it and figure out for yourself if you could have done anything differently because I'm sure the outcome wasn't what you wanted. Maybe it was unavoidable; you know, I mean I wasn't there, yeh!

It sort of happened so fast. I guess I know in my head I was leaning towards straight red. But after reading up on it, I think this is the correct outcome.

I think going straight red over being called an idiot is an overreaction. Football is a heated game in the moment. It was just a crappy game with naggy teams.

I am content with what I have done and I am happy to put a line under it and to move on.

I am always on the fence with the selective hearing, you are sort of screwed, because you need to take their name and number. So this interaction turns in to an almost baiting them in to further dissent.

I've had the sin bin situation twice now. Both the exact same. Where someone says, refs an idiot (or similar) I say, right sin bin for you, proceed to take name number, produce card, only to have them say loudly, imagine getting sin binned cause he's an idiot.

Then that presents you with, run off and pretend you didn't hear it (this will give them the 10minutes to cool down and they usually do come back a better player attitude wise) or stick to your guns and produce a second yellow. Where I think you are sort of pushing the zero tolerance, that is probably better for the sport as a whole. Just don't abuse us and move on.

I'm completely fine with frustration and people getting a little unruly, but when it is just so deliberate and direct.

Last edited:
It sort of happened so fast. I guess I know in my head I was leaning towards straight red. But after reading up on it, I think this is the correct outcome.

I think going straight red over being called an idiot is an overreaction. Football is a heated game in the moment. It was just a crappy game with naggy teams.

I am content with what I have done and I am happy to put a line under it and to move on.

I am always on the fence with the selective hearing, you are sort of screwed, because you need to take their name and number. So this interaction turns in to an almost baiting them in to further dissent.

I've had the sin bin situation twice now. Both the exact same. Where someone says, refs an idiot (or similar) I say, right sin bin for you, proceed to take name number, produce card, only to have them say loudly, imagine getting sin binned cause he's an idiot.

Then that presents you with, run off and pretend you didn't hear it (this will give them the 10minutes to cool down and they usually do come back a better player attitude wise) or stick to your guns and produce a second yellow. Where I think you are sort of pushing the zero tolerance, that is probably better for the sport as a whole. Just don't abuse us and move on.

I'm completely fine with frustration and people getting a little unruly, but when it is just so deliberate and direct.
Try "Yes, please, 7. . . at the moment it is only a Sin Bin"
If they are then stupid enough . . .

Back