A&H

How to communicate with players

Xavier

Hi i'm a new referee and one thing i have a problem with during the game is explaining my decision. I often dont know how to explain why i made a call. Is this something that will come naturally or do i have to learn it.
Thanks

The Referee Store
Hi i'm a new referee and one thing i have a problem with during the game is explaining my decision. I often dont know how to explain why i made a call. Is this something that will come naturally or do i have to learn it.
Thanks

The short simple answer to this is, you dont. Your whistle and awarding of the fk is all thats needed. Explaining, in the whole, leads to arguement and debate, during which you simply wont win. If the guy you are penalising for a foul is convinced he aint fouled anyone, you are not goimg to chsnge his mind.
all leading up to you reaching in for a dissent card/sin bin if applies

that said, in the real world, of course we wish to communicate. Building a rapport does gain us some respect and enhance our match control.

foul/whistle, trip by red 5, thats you explained. Short, sharp, closed statement.

foul/whistle, I can see you got the ball but you went thro back of plsyer to get it

foul/whistle, push in the back,

offside blue 9.
"hows he offisde ref"
' i have given offside, lets get on with the game"

closed statements, words that a player cant naturally come bk to you on

like anything in refereeing, with experience you will find what works for you.

Think back to the laws - there are 7 DFK offences and most FK's can be briefly described by referring to one of those. You'll develop more detailed language in time, but to start with, stick to one/two word descriptions and a reference to who did it: "push by number 5", "trip by the winger".

And don't encourage discussions. Brief description and then get on with the game. If you start the discussion then it's an argument - if you state a reason and run away and they follow to argue, it's easy to sell dissent.

There easiest ways to explain.

Normal free kick: in my opinion it was careless.
Yellow card: in my opinion it was reckless (or one of the other less frequent reasons like , stoped promising attack etc.)
For red card: in my opinion it endangered safety.

As you learn the laws more, you'd be able to add more details.

Start simple. Don't refuse to explain your decision, but don't get into a debate over it. Also do what we used to call "give it and go" - give the decision then quickly move to where you need to be for the restart, that means anyone wanting to argue has to run after you and they are less likely to do that.

As you then get more experienced you will hearn how you can get into more dialog. I used to struggle but I'm very chatty now and will happily discuss decisions, but it isn't easy to do when starting out.

Start simple. Don't refuse to explain your decision, but don't get into a debate over it. Also do what we used to call "give it and go" - give the decision then quickly move to where you need to be for the restart, that means anyone wanting to argue has to run after you and they are less likely to do that.

As you then get more experienced you will hearn how you can get into more dialog. I used to struggle but I'm very chatty now and will happily discuss decisions, but it isn't easy to do when starting out.
Thank you for your reply so as i get more expierienced the easier it will be to talk to the players?

Thank you for your reply so as i get more expierienced the easier it will be to talk to the players?

Yes, absolutely. Its the same as any scenario when you are inexperienced, if you start a new job you are unlikely to go in there on day 1 and start telling people how you think things should be done. Refereeing isn't any different, you won't get everything right at the start and explaining decisions might be tricky. Getting into debates even more so as you won't be used to it and you'll be dealing with players that have spent years trying to manipulate referees.

For those (slightly ;) ) higher up the food chain and/or more experienced, I have found that. if you can, picking out who played an attacker onside or conversely, communicate by how much the attacker was offside, it DOES help sell a decision.

I did that the other week when bench side, manager says to me "Sure that was on side lino?" - after his team conceded. Told him number 3 on the far side had played attacker on and he preceded to call out said number 3 for his poor positioning!

Not always possible of course, but if you can identify the 'culprit defender', it can help.

Back