A&H

Junior/Youth How not to handle a 6 second infringement

Ok, here it is

1) The IFK. Absolutely correct
2) The caution. Would only be potentially justifiable if it's persistent infringement. Nothing else. And even that is highly questionable.
3) The quick restart. When a caution is issued, play MUST be restarted by a whistle. If there was no whistle, the QFK would have been fine
4) What the flap is the referee doing grabbing the ball out of the keeper's arms and setting the ball for the QFK???

That last point is highly underestimated in just how bad it is. Not whistling is already a grievous error in law that has decided the match. But step 4 crosses the line into the appearance of questionable impartiality. The referee has basically done everything except kick it into the goal himself. I'm not accusing the referee myself, but being fair is only half of the equation; he must be seen to be fair and he couldn't have failed harder on that than if he joined in their team song after the match.

Grabbing the ball out of the keeper's arms is just inviting problems - if the keeper had refused and the referee got himself into a grabbing contest, the keeper would have had to be sent off and probably face a lengthy suspension. Setting the ball for the FK himself is just completely wrong. the referee should never do anything to physically facilitate the QFK himself.

If the keeper had released the ball and it had fallen into the correct position, then while technically the referee could have quickly blown the whistle, I'd argue that would be against the spirit of the law anyhoo.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
We're hinging on law and a caution.

We wouldn't be talking about it and it wouldn't be all over facebook if it was managed differently. We wouldn't of even been aware of it.

@deusex - page 83 ... I'll confess to not using the whistle after EVERY sub - I had 34 rolling subs on Sunday (over 2 games) - ran out of puff !!
Did realise this either. Guess what is going in my L4 assessment for the referee on Saturday as a failure to apply Law correctly..:devil:

Did realise this either. Guess what is going in my L4 assessment for the referee on Saturday as a failure to apply Law correctly..:devil:

Well technically is it law if it's part of the 'Interpretation of the laws of the game and guidelines for referee's'? :p

Of course not. Because if it had been handled it differently, it may have been handled correctly :rolleyes:

The only other way of handling it is, doing it correctly.

I was just cutting the poor lad some slack. At least it will be in a SFA learning video for referee's next season. :D

On the bright side, the only ones criticising him are referees (and concerningly, about half the referees in a local facebook page can't see what he did wrong) - the facebook comments from the general public on the SFA youtube page are all praising his decision!!!

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:
• controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds before releasing it from his possession

So IFK, no caution (from what we have seen). I find the referee's behavior grabbing and setting the ball for the FK crass in the extreme. In that situation, I would not be allowing the quick free kick, I would have killed time by talking to the keeper for 10 seconds "Don't do it again or it will be a caution...etc."

Back