A&H

"How long have you been doing this?"

Mada

It's my first season and I've been getting some half decent Saturday games (i.e. division 3 games out of a 5 division league) and have been holding my own with the last 2 games being very positive experiences.

Before the last 2 games I've had a casual chat with the managers/chairman of the teams and on both occasions I have been asked by each club how long I have been involved with the league and how long I have been a referee.

The honest answer is I have refereed less than 10 adult games in the middle with another 5 or so on the line. Obviously I don't want my inexperience to be used against me but equally I do not want to be dishonest.

So far I've gone with "this is my first year with this league and I have some additional experience beforehand".

Any thoughts on how to best handle this?

The Referee Store
"First year on this league". Job done!

As innocently the question may be asked, as it's likely you're a new name to them, I wouldn't particularly advise having extended casual chats with either side. Find an excuse to be off doing something :)

"First year on this league". Job done!

As innocently the question may be asked, as it's likely you're a new name to them, I wouldn't particularly advise having extended casual chats with either side. Find an excuse to be off doing something :)
Second this.
Had a tricky contrib game on the line where we had, innocently, been approached by home manager during warm up. Quick friendly chat was all it was but that didn't go un noticed by away side who started the game with the mentality we were against them.

Don't be put out by the question..
1)you are a new face to them
2)they could be trying to play on inexperience so keep it brief without giving a lot away

Your response is perfect -new to this league is all you need to say.

Agree with the replies, it is best to not let anyone know that you are new to either refereeing or that level of refereeing. Some people will seize on it and use it to try and put you under pressure.

Back