A&H

How far up the ladder?

Noble123

Level 7 Referee
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the promotion goes from level 7-6-5-4-3-2b-2a-select group 1- select group 2 ?

Is anyone able to advise, roughly, how much you can expect to earn, per game, for each level?

Thanks in advance :)

The Referee Store
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the promotion goes from level 7-6-5-4-3-2b-2a-select group 1- select group 2 ?

Is anyone able to advise, roughly, how much you can expect to earn, per game, for each level?

Thanks in advance :)
No idea on earnings but SG2 is before SG1. 2 is Championship Referee and 1 is Premier League Referee. Following that there is FIFA list which is an international referee. Then UEFA have their own rankings that I have no clue about.

• Level T – Trainee Referee (learners completing the FA Referee course)
  • Level Y – Youth Referee (qualified referees aged 14 or 15)
  • Level 7 – Junior County Referee (qualified referees aged 16 or over)
  • Level 6 – County Referee
  • Level 5 – Senior County Referee
  • Level 4 – Supply League Referee/Contributory League Assistant Referee
  • Level 3 – Contributory League Referee/Panel League Assistant Referee
  • Level 2b – Panel League Referee
  • Level 2a – Panel Select League Referee
  • Level 1 – National List Referee
  • Select Group 2 – Football League Championship Referee
  • Select Group 1 – Premier League Referee
  • FIFA List – International Referee

The simple answer to your question is that there are really only two ways to make "decent" money from being a referee.

1) Be one of the extremely gifted, committed and lucky individuals to make it through to SG2 / SG1. These are professional referees and the money is on a par with senior managers in many big organisations (£50K-100K+) ... though still not enough to make it a straightforward choice for those referees with good existing careers in other companies. This is a great ambition to have but the chances are extremely slim

2) Be a Level 5-7 referee with plenty of time on your hands and an inexhaustible amount of energy. There are a multitude of grass roots mens, womens, youth , 5 a side etc games to cover .. taking place pretty much every day of the week during the day and evening. It's certainly feasible to make a few hundred pound a week by going this route.

The toughest part of the ladder is L4 to 2B. Whilst the money per game is ok (£50 - £150), you are out of your house for many many hours for each game and you need to be highly disciplined with your time to stay in the good books of the FA

I was only ever on the bottom rung... I think that made me the third best referee for Australia too ⚔️❤️⚔️

Back