A&H

How do you remember to go back for a caution after playing advantage?

Declan

Level 5 Referee
A clear case of me getting old happened today! Blue 11 cynically tugs back yellow 8 but before I can blow yellow 10 is on to it and I play advantage he slips it through to his 9 who rifles it home. I then give myself a mental note of well done, go back to restart feeling pleased with myself until about 90 seconds after restarting when I'm horrified to realise I never went back to caution blue 11!

Anyone got any tips to pass on in helping remember to discipline players after advantages?

The Referee Store
Chant the number in your head.

I had this yesterday - promising attack, cynical reckless challenge but the ball is still in a promising position for an attacker to get down the wing so play advantage. I said out loud I was coming back for the caution. Of course the attack broke down when the poor cross went straight to the keeper and ball didn't go out of play for about 4 or 5 minutes. Attack - ball to keeper - attack etc.

When it did eventually go out, the defender didn't complain when I went back to him, accepted it like a man with a yes, sorry ref he was too quick for me.

All that time I was chanting "number 5, number 5" in my head!

I have to admit I have I forgotten on a couple of occasions, mainly due to prolonged time before a stoppage like SM describes.

This is something I struggle with sometimes too. If there has been a yellow I like to shout red (number) I'm coming back to you.

Helps me remember. I've had it a few times where I've made an advantage and forgot which player made the foul luckily when they tend to find there way to you after the advantage when it's just a word. Say to a player did you do that foul for the advantage? I've found they always grass on their teammate.

Definitely something I need to improve.

Agree with SM. Best solution for the obvious caution is to shout out "I'm coming back for you Blue 11".

Everybody hears it, and it stops afters. Attacking team will definitely remind you if you forget.

Yeah I always say in my head 'white 4 white 4 white 4' until play stops and caution the player in question after that

Run past player pending caution. Hand notebook and pen. "Write your name down in that for me please player"

When ball leaves play find player who is holding your notebook trying to remember how to spell his name. Return to him to collect notebook. Produce yellow.

Keeps the game a' flowin'

LOL!!!

I'm terrible with this sort of thing. I have the same problem in a mass confrontation - by the time the dust has settled I've forgotten who did what!

Find something to identify the player - shoe colour, terrible haircut, whatever. Remember that.

If you can spot his number you can even grab out your pen while play's still going and write it on your hand or something - don't need to take your eye off play for that.

Airsoft pistol with fluourescent pink or yellow ammunition. Tag them with a short burst as you run through.
At the next stoppage find the guy/gal splattered in the pretty colours.

Bonus: waive the fine and suspension, tell them they're not allowed to play again until it's completely cleaned off.

A clear case of me getting old happened today! Blue 11 cynically tugs back yellow 8 but before I can blow yellow 10 is on to it and I play advantage he slips it through to his 9 who rifles it home. I then give myself a mental note of well done, go back to restart feeling pleased with myself until about 90 seconds after restarting when I'm horrified to realise I never went back to caution blue 11!

Anyone got any tips to pass on in helping remember to discipline players after advantages?
Never had a problem with this, but as a general rule I will shout his number "Number 11, booking next stop in play". That probably helps me, it is also a good way to let the rest of the players know I did see him and that he is not getting away with it.

Back