A&H

Higuain Red

JH

RefChat Addict

Got to love a referee that refuses to take reactions like this and actually does something about dissent. Didn't see him flash the yellow twice, straight red for offensive/insulting/abusive?

If we saw this on TV more regularly - what effect could that have on dissent at grassroots?

The Referee Store

Got to love a referee that refuses to take reactions like this and actually does something about dissent. Didn't see him flash the yellow twice, straight red for offensive/insulting/abusive?

If we saw this on TV more regularly - what effect could that have on dissent at grassroots?
I take it your questions were rhetorical :)

Agreed. Although I would have liked the delivery of the card in a calmer manner.

.Hmmmm. Calmer manner I disagree with unless you know what he was said to him. Hats off to the referee on this one and it would absolutely help

Last edited:
You can get animated and use body language to deliver a message. However if that body language is anger and is in response to something that is said to you, you lose some credibility of your professionalism. A important rule of professionalism is not to make decisions based in personal feelings.

We had a member here who wanted to fight with a spectator who verbally abused him. That is not what refereeing is about.

I take it your questions were rhetorical :)

Agreed. Although I would have liked the delivery of the card in a calmer manner.
My thoughts exactly. Great red and must have been emotional and it was a tight space but I there was something awkward.

Still, hats off.

Reactions: one
Ref looked pretty calm to me..not sure what people are complaining about .. Though don't ever leave your whistle in your mouth while booking somebody
'People' were not complaining. 'people' were making comments based on what was observed on the video. :)
Based on what I saw in the delivery, it looked like he took it a little personally and had a bit of personal emotions involved.

If I might add, you don't send players off because they talked to 'you' like that. You do it because they talked to a match official like that. It's an impartial decision not a personal one. In this case it looked like "you are off because you talked to 'me' that way".

Last edited:

Caution someone using this technique at grass roots and you are a shooting duck for a smack in the puss
The card is to be used as a tool, simply firing it up n the air, whistle in mouth, to an already enraged player, treating him like a mute, will end badly for someone...

Back to the clip though, yes, grass roots seeing top stars dismissed would have an effect, true to say in England there was 10 years of Rooney disrespecting officials and it certainly has an influence on how folk act . Had they seen refs get rid, the message would slowly sink in

We culled the tackle from behind in, what, 6 months? No reason why f/a could not be handled the same

Reactions: JH
Another incident in the same game. Juve defending. What is your decision?

The ref cant see the defenders foul, his view is blocked, and by time he does get a look into the incident, he can only see what will appear like a pull back by attacker
No doubts the clip shows a pk
Stronger AR might have got involved but again he wont have had a great view and its one of those, leave it for the ref calls

The ref cant see the defenders foul, his view is blocked, and by time he does get a look into the incident, he can only see what will appear like a pull back by attacker
No doubts the clip shows a pk
Stronger AR might have got involved but again he wont have had a great view and its one of those, leave it for the ref calls
They used VAR in the game.

I might just add, I spent some time in Italy last year with uni and spoke to several refereeing colleagues - this way of dismissing is the norm there, they have completely different mechanics for everything to us.

I might just add, I spent some time in Italy last year with uni and spoke to several refereeing colleagues - this way of dismissing is the norm there, they have completely different mechanics for everything to us.

I got eyes opened when working with refs from my country who officiate in Europe, personally it disappointed me but, there was one in particular who even when reffing and having to caution say, a player he knows well, there was no words, just a stare and a card raised into the air, as if it was a person from another continent and a huge language barrier. No doubt he knows better than me, and its not a critisicm of his ability or personality but it just sterile for me.

I got eyes opened when working with refs from my country who officiate in Europe, personally it disappointed me but, there was one in particular who even when reffing and having to caution say, a player he knows well, there was no words, just a stare and a card raised into the air, as if it was a person from another continent and a huge language barrier. No doubt he knows better than me, and its not a critisicm of his ability or personality but it just sterile for me.
We all don’t know the context or the actual words spoken so it’s hard to say his reaction is good or bad, I’m sure our own reactions could vary wildly depending on what’s said to us and the temperature of a match at the time.

We all don’t know the context or the actual words spoken so it’s hard to say his reaction is good or bad, I’m sure our own reactions could vary wildly depending on what’s said to us and the temperature of a match at the time.

of course

what I meant though, sorry if the post never made sense, was, from experience, I done games where a run of the mill booking was carried out as per the clip, when, there was, to me, no reason why some talking could not take place, instead of standing there all officious and pompus.

there is one top flight official here who does it constantly, even with decisions, its a shake of head, nod of head, cards are just expressionless and fired into the air, again, if that's his style and how he is being encouraged to operate, that's fine, robotic does not even come close, personality is out the window.

Back