A&H

High foot ref!

Edward185

High foot or low head?
How do you manage a situation where a player goes to head a ball, which is low and the opposing player tries to play it with his foot?
Some will say this is dangerous play. Due to the likelihood of an injury but really the player who lowers his head has caused it?
Advice on how to judge it?

The Referee Store
Which was the more natural way to play the ball? If the ball is in a natural kicking place, blame the one going down. If it is a natural heading place, blame the foot. More or less, that is somewhere around the waist level, but it is ultimately referee judgment on the specifics of the play and why we get the big bucks. (Whether one is lunging with little chance to get the ball is also relevant.)

For me as a rule of thumb
- waist and below, unlikely to be penaling play with a foot, likely to be penalised for playing with head
- chest and above, opposite of above
- inbetween, I usually let it go if nothing serious has happened.

Must point out if contact happens then this is going into the DFK offences and kicking an opponent should be considered. The expectation is, if a head is nearby the kicker must pull out no matter how low the head is. Safety first.

Some good advise given already. This can be a tricky call and I find instinct plays a big part in the decision. If it doesn't surprise/shock me that a player is trying to head the ball in a particular scenario then I would tend to favour the header over the kicker. By same rationale it shouldn't then surprise the kicker that an opponent is trying to head the ball. If the header doesn't look natural go with the kicker.

@Kaa4079 you may want to use this more recent thread for your views on "high foot". Oh and you may want to make your sentences a bit shorter. By the time I got to the end of your first sentence I forgot what the start of it was saying. :p

Back