A&H

Health and Safety at Work Act 1974

Stephen Eves

Hello Guys,

ok I hate to be a bore, however, I work as a pool lifeguard and fitness instructor in a local leisure centre. I have recently been placed on health and safety and risk assessment courses when asked these questions below provided an answer, but i am now doubting my answers and just wanted to double check.

1: Are referees responsable for health and safety of players, club officials and spectators at football matches at all levles of the game?

I answered NO, to the above question. although under the duty of care, and otherwise being aware and alerting other people to possiable dangers referees and/or assistat referees are not held responsable for health and safety at any football grounds or pitches.

2: Should referees and/or assistant referees have in pace risk assessmnets for thier own protection for activities in relation to training, meetings and match travel in relation to leaving home to arriving at thier destination?

This is something I hadnt thought off, When carrying out any refereeing duties we are classed as self employed and therefore in the eyes of the law and employer. this would then require the above to be actioned. (like I said, I have never thought of this)

3: what does the FA, UEFA and/or FIFA state in relation to the responsability of health and safety ?

I am aware that according to the Laws of Association football, a match official (referee and/or assistant) can not have any legal action taken against them ie being sued for injury to a player or club official.

sorry for the long thread

A&H International
1: No. That responsibility falls on the clubs themselves and the facilities providers.

2: The risks are minimal/negligible when compared to day-to-day activities and therefore not requiring a RA to be completed. You do not do one for general driving, nor are you required to d one if you choose to jog to keep fit!

3: Again this falls on the relevant parties as understood by law. The teams themselves, the providers of the facility - changing rooms, stadia etc. Teams are advised to have at least one first aider present, and many leagues (not all) have this as a requirement of entry.

Back