A&H

Have you / would you ever clear dog muck off your pitch, pre match

haywain

the voice of reason
Level 7 Referee
...or do you regard that as an absolute no no and a job for the home team?

The Referee Store
Absolutely no way, I clear up any bits of rubbish I find during my pre-match inspection but that is definitely the job of the home team.

As @Matthew has said, ill move cans, bottles etc, but not a chance in hell ill be picking up dog poo. Its bad enough when I have to pick up after my own dogs, let alone someone elses

+1 the above

General bits of rubbish - yes. Dog eggs? Nope

I have also drawn the line at half a dead mangled bird. A man with a stick and bucket eventually wandered on and got rid. :)

i have done it once or twice, depending on the circumstances, clearly a throw back to my managing / coaching / football dad days. Even took a dead and mummified-looking rat/mouse kind of thing off once.

did draw the line at a lamb's intestine once, which looked something akin to a large squid. scary thing there was that it was inside the penalty area and mine was the second match on. :0

I'm always on the look out for plastic gloves at petrol stations, too, which i'll happily hand out to relieved pitch clearers, usually armed with nothing more than a couple of cones - which is even more scary when you think that they'll probably just be collected up with the other cones at the end of the match

note to self - don't do it when you've already wrapped your whistle round your wrist :(

I definitely won't pick any crap up! I get enough of it on the pitch off the players! I draw the line at litter, I'll pick litter and bits of twig etc up but past that they're picking it up! I'm the referee not the parkie/groundsman who should do that!

Christ no, as others have said a bit of litter is one thing but poo is a definite no no. Home manager and a shovel is the usual course of action.

I turned up to a match and in the middle of the penalty area was a poo bigger than a couple of match balls, god knows what done it but some bloke with a shovel came for it

Many years ago, playing rugby for my primary school team against another local school. We played on a field used mainly for sheep! Sheep poo everywhere.

Where was bloody health and safety then I ask you!!

Being welsh and mentioning rugby and sheep in one paragraph. Asking for trouble. :)

On the topic if turning up to different sports and finding unexpected things, turned up to a cricket match to find a dead sheep on the pitch

On the topic if turning up to different sports and finding unexpected things, turned up to a cricket match to find a dead sheep on the pitch

Probably an England opener with a very woolly sweater on - even if it was a dead sheep it probably had a similar batting average

On a dry day I've kicked it off from near the sides of the pitch, but usually just ask the home match delegate who should sort it.

Nope never, just in the same way that I would never find a new net and fix a net myself etc. Always the home manager/staff's responsibility IMO

Back