A&H

Has promotion got tougher?

Monotone Whistle

Simple question really. I am basing this on Essex CFA, who announced yesterday that despite extremely high levels of applications they have promoted only half of the numbers that they did in 2014.

The biggest hit seems to be in the L6-5s, where only 11 made it (versus over 30 last year).

I know a couple of guys that failed and I was surprised they didn't make it, but I don't know the specific reasons. I was thinking to myself last night maybe there is a conscious effort by the counties to up the standards slightly. That said, there were a higher number of L4 nominations, so maybe this is a one season anomaly.

Anyone else seen this in their regions?

The Referee Store
There are no correlations or hidden agendas - they were all marked against the same competencies as the last years.

Different referees, different performances. If you referee the standard required, regardless of who you have upset / impressed, and match all criteria, you will be promoted. Only for appointments, development groups, tournaments etc... is it beneficial to who you know!

No suggestion of agendas at all, just wondering (out loud) if maybe the criteria had changed or the required scores increased to keep certain standards.

It's a tough old slog and I always feel sorry for those that don't make it.

With more training and improved standards, the assessors are being more consistent in their marking. This has slightly made promotion harder, but this would be minimal at 7-6. These will effect 5-4 more.

The numbers simply depend on the number of new referees each year and their abilities.

There are no correlations or hidden agendas - they were all marked against the same competencies as the last years.

Different referees, different performances. If you referee the standard required, regardless of who you have upset / impressed, and match all criteria, you will be promoted. Only for appointments, development groups, tournaments etc... is it beneficial to who you know!

Errrrr....no.

If you upset the wrong people, it won't matter what you do on the pitch.....you won't get promoted.

Errrrr....no.

If you upset the wrong people, it won't matter what you do on the pitch.....you won't get promoted.
Sorry Padfoot, I disagree. 7-6 & 6-5, upsetting people doesn't affect your promotion. The rules are clear and cannot be really interferred with.

But 5-4 and above, definitely agree. Promotion is in the hands of people, so you are always at risk.

Sorry Padfoot, I disagree. 7-6 & 6-5, upsetting people doesn't affect your promotion. The rules are clear and cannot be really interferred with.

But 5-4 and above, definitely agree. Promotion is in the hands of people, so you are always at risk.

Heard the conversations between assessrs too many times to swallow that.......and RDO's.......

Fact is that if your face doesn't fit......neither will your promotion! You'll be magically a couple of marks short of the required amount....or you'll be one assessment short......or your club marks won't be acceptable.......

I'm too long in the tooth to believe that the system is anything other than corruptible and is regularly manipulated to ensure that certain refs are (over) promoted and some not promoted at all.
See it every season........

Assessment marks and club marks are just two of the criteria reviewed for promotion candidates. Failing to attend to your admin, such as not advising your available dates for assessment to the assessor coordinator. Not closing your dates when you are not available and then giving back word on appointments can make life difficult for assessors, assessor co-ordinators and RDOs. Closing too many dates also indicates a possible lack of commitment/availability.

The most annoying candidates are those who find out they have to complete a certain number of games as AR and do exactly that number before declaring themselves unavailable for any more on the line. It's like those level 4s who find out their bandings and then close a lot of dates to avoid hurting their assessor and club marks. If people try to play the system, the system has a funny way of biting them on the bum.

Back