A&H

Handball or not - DRFC V CPFC

The Referee Store
I'm not convinced about the first one. Sometimes a player's reaction can be an unintended twitch. If the ball was going in the goal, the penalty argument would carry more weight because the player would have a motive
I agree with the idea that a player going to ground is making himself big, akin to putting the arms in the air. The second incident blatantly prevents the ball reaching it's target and I'd be giving the penalty
What I find very strange, is Mike Dean (of all people) loves a Handball. Maybe the directive has secretly changed because MD has an eagle eye for HB; that even an eagle would be envious of

The problem is that when you dive feet first to block the ball your arms will come out, you just can't make that action with your arms pinned by your side. I know that FIFA and UEFA want to see those offences punished, but as an ex-defender it doesn't sit comfortably as I don't honestly believe there has been any intention to handle the ball.

The problem is that when you dive feet first to block the ball your arms will come out, you just can't make that action with your arms pinned by your side. I know that FIFA and UEFA want to see those offences punished, but as an ex-defender it doesn't sit comfortably as I don't honestly believe there has been any intention to handle the ball.
I agree that it's not deliberate by point of fact. From the other perspective, it's also unfair to deny the attacking team a goal scoring opportunity because a defender made himself big by going to ground and not winning the ball
This just gets at the heart of why 'deliberate' is the wrong word. I've said before that 'avoidable' would be a better fit. In this case the HB was avoidable if the defender had stayed on his pins

How avoidable was it?? where are his arms supposed to be to avoid it?? Its just not handball despite these stupid interpretations

How avoidable was it?? where are his arms supposed to be to avoid it?? Its just not handball despite these stupid interpretations
Trouble is, the goalkeeper would have been proud of that save
Whatever, why are we seeing these exact same HBs given by some pro refs and not others? That's the joke of it

A hand / arm is part of your body, it always will be, the crime is, 'did he deliberately go out to handle that ball', (as RR said), the answer is 10000% NO, The sneaky thing after was embarrassing but its just not hand ball..... never!!!

How do you know he deliberately didn't set out to handle the ball? I call he did on the basis of the timing of his dive.

This avoidable talk reminds of a recent video foul discussion in which a player went to ground only to pull his leg back in when he realised he was nowhere near the ball. He still upended the OPPO through the back of his legs. One FL AR said yellow and reckless and the other only a foul on the basis he didn't mean it.

What's the call if a player does a handstand and the ball hits his hand?

A hand / arm is part of your body, it always will be, the crime is, 'did he deliberately go out to handle that ball', (as RR said), the answer is 10000% NO, The sneaky thing after was embarrassing but its just not hand ball..... never!!!
I know we normally agree on HB decisions, but it would be boring if we never clashed! The way things are going, i fancy any contact will be HB before too long

I’m all for punishing unfair play but the lawmakers are going too far in favour of strikers and getting it too far their way in decisions. Fouls, dives, flops, offside and now handballs, whatever next, it’s touch football and we all fall down!

How do you know he deliberately didn't set out to handle the ball? I call he did on the basis of the timing of his dive.

This avoidable talk reminds of a recent video foul discussion in which a player went to ground only to pull his leg back in when he realised he was nowhere near the ball. He still upended the OPPO through the back of his legs. One FL AR said yellow and reckless and the other only a foul on the basis he didn't mean it.

What's the call if a player does a handstand and the ball hits his hand?
Agree to disagree I suppose!

i can't see it because BBC is region blocked, but for slides - arms need to be tucked under the body, not trailing behind.

We get too hung up over 'natural' position. It might be natural - but it can also be trained out. Lunging into a slide tackle with high raised studs is arguably natural until you've been trained to keep studs down low and away from the player.

But we need much clearer guidance over DHB. Though I expect that any tinkering will just make it even more confusing, like offside.

Reactions: one
Back