A&H

Handball, episode 38

A&H International
And yet, on the Step 5/6 Pre-Season Meeting the FA used this incident as an example of non deliberate handball and DOGSO inferring UNNATURAL POSITION!!! As in when to award a PK and Yellow Card
I know freeze frames are very misleading, but this was a classic example of arm beside the body and entirely natural. Proximity was also a big factor. Ball travelled a few feet before hitting the arm
It's all so messed up with inconsistent and ever-changing interpretation. I just didn't have the energy to question this on the call (lots of attendees)

1723718990693.png

Last edited:
And yet, on the Step 5/6 Pre-Season Meeting the FA used this incident as an example of non deliberate handball and DOGSO inferring UNNATURAL POSITION!!! As in when to award a PK and Yellow Card
I know freeze frames are very misleading, but this was a classic example of arm beside the body and entirely natural. Proximity was also a big factor. Ball travelled a few feet before hitting the arm
It's all so messed up with inconsistent and ever-changing interpretation. I just didn't have the energy to question this on the call (lots of attendees)
I've got to be honest, I don't think it's the interpretation that's the problem here, I believe this was just a poorly selected example which most officials I know believe to not be a handball offence.

I've got to be honest, I don't think it's the interpretation that's the problem here, I believe this was just a poorly selected example which most officials I know believe to not be a handball offence.
You might be right, but they can't go teaching 1000+ referees a classic misapplication of the Law
It's not a HB, it's not a DOGSO, it's not a Caution, it's contact with the hand that's not an offence so the clip should not have been used

That said, wouldn't be any surprise whatsoever, if VAR was to give the PK, so he PGMOL's Tweet amounts to nonsense anyway

Sounds like the two of us are in agreement, but I just got (another) bee in my bonnet when they used this clip :mad::confused:
I'll get back in my box

Edit: FWIW, I think this is the clip that caused confusion at CORE (discussed in another thread) where that may have somehow wrongly concluded a dismissal for any hand contact that prevents a goal :confused: That assumption being true...... glad I ain't on CORE

Last edited:
Fook knows, even though there's no chance it's a HB in Law
This stuff just fuels the notion that any contact with the hand is HB and that's why the players are screaming for everything and clueless as to whether they'll get it or not. But then half the world on TV is giving it so there's no answer to your question. I just know that I'd be annoyed if I pointed to the spot

Edit: FWIW, I think this is the clip that caused confusion at CORE (discussed in another thread) where that may have somehow wrongly concluded a dismissal for any hand contact that prevents a goal :confused: That assumption being true...... glad I ain't on CORE

That was never ever suggested.

Sounds like you've had the same/similar training as at core where this clip was demonstrating a PK and caution (which is correct IF you think it is an offence - I don't). It sounds like you've been told this was unnatural position which does confirm with the law albeit we may not agree on the assessment of it.

My understanding of the training at CORE (from a different clip) is that it needing to be an offence first and foremost was not being considered and as such any non deliberate handling that denied a goal or Goal scoring opportunity was to be punished by penalty and YC. That is what prompted my exchange with IFAB.

On that clip from the Cheshire non league I would not be surprised if they were a CORE referee who had attended CORE camp as for me it is an example where no offence has occurred and therefore play on.

Back