A&H

Graham Poll

As an "old git", I remember that there was a part of Law XII (as it was in those days) which refer to challenges on a goal keeper in their own goal area. It effectively barred contact with them, but the side affect was you could "fairly charge a goalkeeper who had control of the ball outside his goal area". I have been trying to find the wording on GOOGLE, without look. The removal of this was when then did a re-write of the LOTG 15-20 years ago.

Where's @Peter Grove when you need him?
@lincs22 is right - up until the great re-write of 1997, Law 12 did indeed say that:
A player [...] charging the goalkeeper except when he [...] has passed outside his goal−area [...] shall be penalised by the award of an indirect free−kick

However, in looking at the 1996 laws, I was surprised to notice that it also said a keeper could be charged if they were holding the ball - I thought that had been outlawed a lot earlier. There was however already the provision that it was a direct free kick to charge an opponent in a careless or reckless manner, or "involving disproportionate force", which I guess would preclude the kinds of challenges that used to be prevalent in the 50's and 60's.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Great to see these laws develop through time. Good to see them simplified too once in a while.
The one I miss is the 10 yard advancement of a FK for dissent, loved that one!

Great to see these laws develop through time. Good to see them simplified too once in a while.
The one I miss is the 10 yard advancement of a FK for dissent, loved that one!

Out of interest, I assume you couldn't move a penalty forward because of dissent? Imagine there'd be some high-scoring games then ;)

Yes, there were issues but it was a trial and needed exploration like VAR.

It was one that split opinion, as of course, sometimes being 10 yards closer to the goal make it harder for the expert free kick takers shooting for goal
I would have tried, moving free kicks forward in the defensive half only, or, giving the attacker the choice of 10 yard forward or staying where it was

I struggle to see what part of any law suggests you should have disallowed the goal.

If a keeper fumbles or drops a ball, it's fair game for an attacker to poke the ball into the net. Unless I've misunderstood you're post, you don't disallow goals in the above scenario.
The way I described it sounds reasonable, but you probably had to be there. It was one
where the keeper had had control, fumbled it, and in the process of trying to regain that control had the ball kicked away from him, but not actually kicked out of his hand in my view.

Back