A&H

"Good throw"

The Referee Store
Only one foot touching the ground on or outside the line when the ball is thrown - the one leg airborne that we see on TV - a lot.
A number of years back, we were shown a training video for foul throws... 20 throws, and we had to mark how many had the foot lifted before the throwwas released.

I'll be honest, all 20 looked to me like they were foul throws due to that foot lifting.

The answer? 2.

We saw them all in slow motion and, much like the flash-lag effect on offside movements, the trail foot pretty much always lifted after the ball was released.

And by the Law, that makes it a legal throw-in.

Yes great. Obviously.
However, I have lots of games with lots of blatant foul throws where one leg is clearly airborne. It's rife at U13-16 and terrible in the lower mens' leagues. And lots of refs pay no attention.

I was supposed to do an U18 game one Sunday, turned up at the park and no U18's team, game had been called off and I wasn't told! There was an U14 match due to kick off at the same time and they didn't have an appointed ref due to shortages, so they asked me to do their game for them, which I was happy to oblige.

I had more foul throws than fouls in the game and after the match both managers thanked me for calling them out, because whilst they practice them at training, because they end up with parent referees for most games, they never get penalised in the games.

Back