A&H

Going back to my old booking technique

OldNavyRef

Level 5 Referee
Previously I would get my notepad out, ask a player their name number, explain they're being booked for whatever then get the card out, raise it high.

I always got positive feedback for this approach, but I found it difficult to keep track of everything, and it was slow and felt clunky.

I changed to write on cards. I find cautioning to be so much more slick, get card out write infringement on card, then show the card.

But I often get comments on my booking procedure looking messy and confusing.

I think because once I get the yellow out to write on it, I forget if I have already shown it or not.

So I think I'm going back to my notebook. It is slower but at least it is correct.

A&H International
Previously I would get my notepad out, ask a player their name number, explain they're being booked for whatever then get the card out, raise it high.

I always got positive feedback for this approach, but I found it difficult to keep track of everything, and it was slow and felt clunky.

I changed to write on cards. I find cautioning to be so much more slick, get card out write infringement on card, then show the card.

But I often get comments on my booking procedure looking messy and confusing.

I think because once I get the yellow out to write on it, I forget if I have already shown it or not.

So I think I'm going back to my notebook. It is slower but at least it is correct.
I always use notebooks because it is the procedure I was taught to use until you get to higher levels. That being said, I do like write on cards so it does depend. If it is a fast paced match or one that needs slowing/calming down, I will just show and get on with it. Most of the time I agree with you though that the notebook is correct.

I always use notebooks because it is the procedure I was taught to use until you get to higher levels. That being said, I do like write on cards so it does depend. If it is a fast paced match or one that needs slowing/calming down, I will just show and get on with it. Most of the time I agree with you though that the notebook is correct.
I might have made a mistake by saying correct as I'm sure there is nothing wrong with using write on cards.

I meant it keeps me correct.

Just makes it difficult to multitask. As when you start the booking procedure there is usually a lot going on you need to keep an eye on. Where the ball is and what the restart is. Subs, physios, managers screaming, players protesting, Flare-ups etc etc

If you don't get the card out quick, typically the offender immediately does a runner, so you need to catch their number or face and not lose it in the crowd while dealing with everything above.

Last edited:
I think the more you do it, the more ‘natural’ it’ll become. I use a notebook. Admittedly, I change my procedure depending on what’s happened (even in games). I refereed a step 6 game where I had about 5 or so in the book and 1 straight RC. For the first caution, it was a reckless tackle (won the ball, etc, but I didn’t like the way he went in) I immediately blew the whistle and his team went ballistic and I immediately showed him a yellow card and then recorded his number afterwards in my notebook after I had tried calming him and his team down (I copy the team sheets into my book). For the RC, it was VC off the ball which I caught in the corner of my eye and I stopped play and walked up to him and just ‘flashed’ the card, again recording in my book after. For all the other yellow cards, they were ‘easier’ to sell and I did the normal procedure, called them over, notebook out, recorded their number, then card. The observer was happy (this was a 5-4 observation). (I had an observer the week after who didn’t like it and pulled me up on it as I did a similar thing but only issued 3 yellows, but I flashed one !)

I think it does depend on what’s happened and, hopefully, a habit will develop over time the more you caution/ send off players.

It’s very situational, and it can often depend on whether the game is there to be killed or not.

Generally, I will always use my notebook if I don’t trust the teamsheet 100% - that’s a given to ensure I’m getting the name correct.

I do much prefer write on cards, I feel they stop us becoming the centre of attention while cautioning, and just being a bit more anonymous. There to be seen to take action, and punish the offence, but not being over officious, especially if everyone knows it’s a stonewall caution.

Back