A&H

Goalkeeper Protection

Robbo7

I reffed a game yesterday, and in the final few minutes I awarded a free kick to one of the teams, to the left of the penalty area. They whipped it in, the keeper came to catch it both hands, but then like a bar of soap popped out very briefly, the oppo forward in the melee heads it down and it gets bundled in over the line. I give the goal, but apparently there was a phantom foul on the keeper, the manager, goal keeper all going mad (All coming up to me after the match) I am sure I saw what I saw, but when there are bodies in the box and the keeper comes out to catch and they don't cleanly, its almost like they get a free kick by default. However it always puts doubts in your mind as you never get a replay.

The Referee Store
I also got the usual "I had both hands on the ball ref"...but then you wasn't in control and there is nothing in LOTG of two hands, its in control!

I sent off two brothers for an almost identical situation... play went on for a good 20 seconds with NO appeals until it went back into the net, little gobby one had some choice words and his brother followed just after... Keep it in the family I'd say and save some petrol money for a few weeks!! Have it!!!

I reffed a game yesterday, and in the final few minutes I awarded a free kick to one of the teams, to the left of the penalty area. They whipped it in, the keeper came to catch it both hands, but then like a bar of soap popped out very briefly, the oppo forward in the melee heads it down and it gets bundled in over the line. I give the goal, but apparently there was a phantom foul on the keeper, the manager, goal keeper all going mad (All coming up to me after the match) I am sure I saw what I saw, but when there are bodies in the box and the keeper comes out to catch and they don't cleanly, its almost like they get a free kick by default. However it always puts doubts in your mind as you never get a replay.
Sounds familiar.... De Gea
In your case, it sounds like the keeper was indeed challenged for the ball, so it depends on whether the ball 'rebounded' from the keeper's hands. If not and the ball was between the keeper's hands at the time of the challenge, then it's a foul

If you gave the foul one team would have moaned at you, if you never gave it the other team moan at you.

Someone questioned an incident i had on Sunday, scramble in the area ball goes towards the goal, six or seven players in front of me, i tried to get an angle but view was blocked.

One lot of players screaming goal, i didnt see it so cant give it.

Manager came up to me afterwards, i explained decision to him he appreciated me explaining it.

Remember you probably in kids football have no AR, no watch telling you if its a goal and no VAR

Over protection of goalkeepers is my number one frustration. They have a distinct advantage insofar that they can use their hands!! Many goalkeepers run and jump towards the ball (n order to catch or punch it) and have no problem colliding with teammates or opponents in doing so as long as they achieve their aim. If, for any reason, they do not achieve their aim, then they immediately appeal for a foul. If an outfield play and an opponent both run and jump to head the ball at the same time, and there is contact, it isn't necessarily a foul by either player. Why treat goalkeepers any different?

I also got the usual "I had both hands on the ball ref"...but then you wasn't in control and there is nothing in LOTG of two hands, its in control!

I would suggest the below clearly shows that if the GK had both hands on the ball they are considered to be in ‘control’........

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:
  • the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands

but then you wasn't in control and there is nothing in LOTG of two hands, its in control!

This isn't strictly true though? Page 103 of the LOTG: The ball being between the hands = keeper in control of the ball (even if he's not in 'control').

I see Padfoot has ninja'd me here. :)

Back