A&H

goalkeeper parrying the ball

haywain

the voice of reason
Level 7 Referee
a goalkeeper is not permitted to touch the ball with his hand inside his own penalty area in the following circumstances:
- if he handles the ball again after it has been released from his possession and has not touched any other player:
- possession of the ball includes the goalkeeper deliberately parrying the ball

so, a soft shot comes in at the keeper from distance around chest height. keeper parries it, it bounces on the ground and he then clasps it to his chest.

trying to imagine whether i would even realise that a foul had been committed in the moment

The Referee Store
One of those rules that just gets ignored, keepers do it all the time...

I always think of this law at the end of a game with a slender lead and the winning teams goalkeeper gets the ball and dribbles it round his box for thirty seconds until he's closed down and then picks it up. To be, the ball is "under his control" there. I would love to give one of those as an IDFK one day just to see the looks on the faces :D

It's distinguishing between a deliberate parry and stoping a shot legitimately. Sometimes it is obvious which has happened, other times less so.

If you blow for it, nobody will have asked for it, nobody will know why you have blown. Being a guardian of the laws of the game is fun. :)

Ball is trickling out for a goal-kick … GK sticks a hand out to keep the ball in play … GK dribbles it to the edge of the penalty area … GK picks it up and then hoofs it from their hands …

Infringement ..?

I would say yes. I think that it is different to the scenario where he parries a shot which bounces to the ground and he then picks it up. I think it would be dependant on the amount of time between the parry and picking it up and what other actions have taken place in between. Don't forget that he is allowed to bounce the ball and keep it under control. I think you would have to make a judgement over how much the ball is under control.

... I have heard talk of referees who don't allow ball bouncing.... Idfk... Lots of kuffufle

a goalkeeper is not permitted to touch the ball with his hand inside his own penalty area in the following circumstances:
- if he handles the ball again after it has been released from his possession and has not touched any other player:

so, a soft shot comes in at the keeper from distance around chest height. keeper parries it, it bounces on the ground and he then clasps it to his chest.

trying to imagine whether i would even realise that a foul had been committed in the moment
Yep - he is allowed to bounce the ball, which is what he has efectively done if you assume he is in 'possession' (or control) of the ball when he parries it. The fact it is a 'soft' shot would suggest he is.

Ball is trickling out for a goal-kick … GK sticks a hand out to keep the ball in play … GK dribbles it to the edge of the penalty area … GK picks it up and then hoofs it from their hands …

Infringement ..?
Hell yes, IDFK as soon as he picks it up.

he hasn't committed an offence here. if he parries it and dribbles, that's an IDFK but not if he picks it straight up

Infringement ..?

IDFK if he dribbles, but if he's just stuck a hand out to keep it in play and then picked it up straight away then that's fine by me.

I wouldn't be just waiting for the keeper topick the ball up. I always have verbal communication with players and would be talking to the keeper telling him if he picks it up its an IDFK if thats my opinion. Generally found gets a positive comments from coaches and players alike

Back