A&H

Goalkeeper advantage

JH

RefChat Addict
Something I've seen a lot of recently:

GK jumps to collect ball
Attacker makes contact that GK doesn't like
GK pushes attacker to floor (or worse)

When you've seen the attacker make contact and the ball is still with the keeper - you can play it off as an advantage.

Would it be right to sanction the GK, then bring it back for the defensive free kick? or would your only option be to give the penalty?

If you're sharp enough you could avoid this dilemma by whistling for a free kick if you suspect it may get heated but that won't always be the case.

The Referee Store
Not every contact is a foul. If you deem the attacker contact was a fair one and the goalkeeper push was careless or worse then the only option is a penalty. Just because you are the keeper and you have the ball it doesn't make you immune to fouling.

If both acts were careless then the better practice from management view point would be to give a free kick to the keeper but have a quiet chat with him about his push as well.

The only time I would play advantage is if the keeper's push was't a careless one (just a small get out of my way push) and the attacker walks away. But I wouldn't make a big advantage signal. Just a quick voice like "cut it out both out you" to let them know you have seen it.

If any action deserves a sanction, stop the game and issue sanction and then restart according to first foul. I had a funny one once when a keeper got to a chest high ball first and cough it on his chest. Attacker continued his run and charged the keeper (could have easily changed his direction to avoid collision). The keeper raised his elbow in the last second into the chest of the attacker (clearly reckless). I stopped play immediate and had to call the trainer on for the attacker. I cautioned the keeper for being reckless. I knew the restart was going to confuse everyone so before I gave it I explained that the striker charged the keeper first so its a free kick to the keeper's team.

If it was not foul contact then it is a penalty and probably a caution (at least). If it was foul contact, then it is a free kick and caution to the GK.

Back