A&H

goalie cautioned for handling deliberate pass from team mate

I'm with Lincs on this one. If the circumstances called for it and the actions broke up a promising attack, then it's possible that a caution may keep things under control.
No, it's not possible at all. The caution can never occur under any circumstances. Whether an attack is broken up is completely irrelevant (as is 'keeping things under control' - you can't make up illegal cautions just to make it easier for yourself)

apologies for the triple post - multiquote wasn't working properly for some reason.

The Referee Store
Apologies, but what baffles me is that an assessor is telling me to lie to other assessors.

If I know that bit on page 123 (which I quoted originally, and includes the bit about GKs) and quote it back to him... and he calls me on it? I'm done and buried.

If I'm pulling that crap and the assessor finds out later... so he doesn't nail me on that assessment, but I'm not sure about your county/association... but assessors here talk to each other. They talk to instructors. They talk to the referee assignors.

I'm done and buried.

That advice is unacceptable, especially coming from an assessor.

No, it's not possible at all. The caution can never occur under any circumstances. Whether an attack is broken up is completely irrelevant (as is 'keeping things under control' - you can't make up illegal cautions just to make it easier for yourself)

apologies for the triple post - multiquote wasn't working properly for some reason.
The text in the LotG are examples of why you would caution for USB. EXAMPLES

Apologies, but what baffles me is that an assessor is telling me to lie to other assessors.

If I know that bit on page 123 (which I quoted originally, and includes the bit about GKs) and quote it back to him... and he calls me on it? I'm done and buried.

If I'm pulling that crap and the assessor finds out later... so he doesn't nail me on that assessment, but I'm not sure about your county/association... but assessors here talk to each other. They talk to instructors. They talk to the referee assignors.

I'm done and buried.

That advice is unacceptable, especially coming from an assessor.
Done and buried? No maybe he will offer some advice in an assessment. It is not the end of your career or life. Get a grip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian, the text clearly states that if a goalkeeper is handling the ball, nothing else matters. There's no way around that. It's explicitly preventing you from saying 'but it broke up an attack'.

And to be honest I'm kind of with Alex on this one. An assessor telling referees to break the law then BS the assessor to try and catch him out absolutely should not be happening (and really, any assessor should know the basic law that the keeper cannot be cautioned for any handling related offence inside his own PA, so quoting the law you stated is simply reinforcing the referee's lack of knowledge to the assessor)

Back