A&H

Goal kick

MartinO

Good evening. Milion apologies as I'm not a referee but a coach of youth team(08s). New team with new to football lads with all the issues attached to it. Anyway, apart of those hundreds issues one is the key I try to find temporary resolution for. None of them is able to kick the ball (yet) for more than 12 yards. As you can imagine it cause a massive problem during the game but mainly goal kicks. We are losing many silly goals because of this.
To the point. We came up with a plan to sort this until they learn to kick the ball properly. I need to check with experts like you if it is within rules.
Plan is that one of defenders stand 60-70cm away from the ball facing the pitch(back to the ball) then goalie gently kick the ball with the feet underneath the ball to get it bounce of defender backside and once ball bounce back he will grab it.
That's it.
Our understanding is, ball is in play as it moves and we can't talk about pass back as defender won't use his foot. So should be OK, isn't?
Please clarify as it is a real tragedy for my wee ones they are losing so many goals from own goal kicks :-(

Ps. Hopefully you've picked up what I mean.

The Referee Store
Unfortunately what you have described sounds like a deliberate trick to circumvent law. Law 12 says the following

An indirect free kick is awarded if a player:

initiates a deliberate trick for the ball to be passed (including from a free kick or goal kick) to the goalkeeper with the head, chest, knee etc. to circumvent the Law, whether or not the goalkeeper touches the ball with the hands; the goalkeeper is penalised if responsible for initiating the deliberate trick

Clear, thank you so much for clarification. Bad news for my lads but from other side no excuse but to practice shoot technique even more intense. Thanks again.

Don’t the opposition have to retreat to half way for a goal kick?

I’d say it’s more of an opportunity to coach player positioning and learning to pass from the back. Players to recognise what diamonds are and work in threes passing and moving, probably better way of developing players rather than working out how to heave it up the pitch?

not trying to tell you how to coach by the way just offering suggestion to solve your predicament

Lucky gk, has faced 61 penalties, saved them all as the ball stops 8yards after being kicked...,

Where I am, for up to U13, there is an imaginary 25m line (using cones or flags outside the sidelines for guide). Opponents have to stay behind this line until a second player has touched the ball. This encourages playing from the back and takes the 'cheap goal' risk out of it.

When I started reffing back when, U8 played on a full pitch. When my kids went to play, my first instinct was to roll my eyes at the tiny field with no goalkeeper. But after watching, it was obvious to me that it was much better for the players--they were more involved and were put trying to do things that they weren’t ready for. (I remember endless retakes of GKs with teams trying to get the ball out of the PA over thick grass.)

A few years ago the US adopted the “build out line“ for 10U and below, similar to what @one describe, but a bit less restrictive. Dramatically better for the kids to actually play. (When I was coaching 10U, it was pretty clear that the most effective CK would be simply to tap the ball over the goal line, as an opponent’s GK was a much better scoring opportunity than a CK. I never did, as I always thought the point of kids soccer was to learn, but weird dynamic in the game.)

Back