A&H

GLT fail

Peter Grove

RefChat Addict
This is an interesting (and slightly troubling) one. In a French Ligue Un game, a GLT decision was overturned after the referee realised the system had malfunctioned.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2017/12/17/5a367efb468aeb66228b45f0.html

Despite the headline in the Marca report, the system in use was not Hawk-Eye, the French league uses a rival system from a German company called Goal Control GmbH.

Here's a link with video of the incident.

https://streamable.com/7jqa1

There is a link containing the referee's account of the incident on the Troyes website:

After Match Interviews

The ref's words are in French, here's my attempt at a translation:

"I'm going to try to explain what happened. There was a ball that rebounded off the bar. The watch didn't vibrate straight away, it took a few seconds to do anything. When it vibrated, I immediately stopped play. Given the delay between the ball hitting the line and the watch vibrating, I used a protocol that allows us, along with a delegate, to check the reliability of the GLT system. I had a doubt about what had happened, about the delay between the ball hitting the line and the moment the watch vibrated. It took a little while to finalise discussions between the GLT technicians and the delegates. The first information I got was that the goal was good. Amiens then expressed a technical reservation (objection?). So the match delegate got back together with the GLT technicians and they reversed the decision. As I had already blown the whistle, I had to apply the law and give the ball to the Amiens goalkeeper for a goal kick."

I'm not 100% sure of the last bit, it says "sortie de but" which I believe means goal kick but if so, then I think the ref chose the wrong restart. As he says, he blew the whistle before the second shot where the ball entered the net so I think the restart should have been a dropped ball?

Incidentally, after doing a bit of Googling, I found that this is not the first time this Goal Control system has malfunctioned. According to L'Equipe, they reckon there have been seven instances of mistakes with the system including at least two where the referee's watch vibrated to indicate a goal when the ball hadn't crossed the line and some where video seems to show the ball definitely crossed the line and the watch didn't vibrate. The French Ligue Professional de Football has apparently already told Goal Control that if they don't sort out the problems, they won't renew their contract for next season.

The Referee Store
Judging by the replays, didn't look like "the whole of the ball crossed the whole of the line".

Interesting though that the graphic from above doesn't look correct. The video stops and rotates to the above view when the ball is moving upwards and away from goal again, instead of the moment it hit the ground and when it was nearest to crossing the line.

Goal kick restart? :eek:

I don't understand why they are persisting with it - surely it should be handed back to the developers project team as unfit for purpose if it has been proven to be so unreliable as the above suggests.

Dont understand why anyone wouldnt use hawkeye given their expertise in this field. Surely cant be cost at the levels of football we are talking about here....

Actually at around quarter mil pounds per ground cost is a big factor.

What I am more concerned with is that each of the GLT ground installations has to get a FIFA quality seal before being used. This says there is also a problem with the FIFA quality seal process.

Actually at around quarter mil pounds per ground cost is a big factor.

What I am more concerned with is that each of the GLT ground installations has to get a FIFA quality seal before being used. This says there is also a problem with the FIFA quality seal process.
A weeks wages for some clubs? Proportionately it's a tuppence. Might be mega money to us mere mortals but to proffessional clubs at one of the top leagues in the world its nothing. That was my point.

And yes possobly Fifa seal of approval probably definitely needs a review. Although I am starting to feel like Fifa dont want the technology to work lol

Back