A&H

GK Time Wasting

Stig

Level 4 Referee
I had an incident in my game today where play has gone into extra time and one team was winning 4-3.

The goalkeeper of the team that was winning held on to the ball for over six seconds and was time wasting with the intention of running the clock down.

I stopped play, cautioned the GK for delaying the restart of play and then restarted with an IDFK to the opposition from where the GK was. For some reason after doing this, I thought that I had not followed law correctly and that I should have gone back to the GK at the next stoppage (brainfart!!) but in my mind I had committed to my original plan.

It took me until the way home in the car to convince myself that I had actually followed procedure as I had totally forgotten about the six second rule.

Barmy I know but isn't it strange when one of these 'few and far between' incidents occurs?!

I suppose that it enforces the importance of familiarising yourself with the LOAF every year.

Have a good Christmas colleagues!

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

The Referee Store
I had an incident in my game today where play has gone into extra time and one team was winning 4-3.

The goalkeeper of the team that was winning held on to the ball for over six seconds and was time wasting with the intention of running the clock down.

I stopped play, cautioned the GK for delaying the restart of play and then restarted with an IDFK to the opposition from where the GK was. For some reason after doing this, I thought that I had not followed law correctly and that I should have gone back to the GK at the next stoppage (brainfart!!) but in my mind I had committed to my original plan.

It took me until the way home in the car to convince myself that I had actually followed procedure as I had totally forgotten about the six second rule.

Barmy I know but isn't it strange when one of these 'few and far between' incidents occurs?!

I suppose that it enforces the importance of familiarising yourself with the LOAF every year.

Have a good Christmas colleagues!

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
It's recognizing these few and far betweeners that separates a good ref from a great ref, mate, so well done!

I can't believe someone penalised a GK for the 6 second rule!

was he much over the 6 second rule? as a goalkeeper myself i know how important it is to settle yourself after a save (sometimes it takes longer the more movement you make during the save) as if you dont it is very easy to scuff a kick or mck up a throw, i think the law should be change to the decression of the referee.

was he much over the 6 second rule? as a goalkeeper myself i know how important it is to settle yourself after a save (sometimes it takes longer the more movement you make during the save) as if you dont it is very easy to scuff a kick or mck up a throw, i think the law should be change to the decression of the referee.
It basically is at the discretion of the referee. Very rarely will you see someone penalised for this, just watch MOTD GK's are always over 6 seconds. If you think the GK is taking the mick then give him a shout of 'OK keeper lets go'. 9 times out of 10 he'll release it straight away, on that odd occasion he doesn't then I maybe looking to penalise him.

Back