A&H

GK handball outside area

If a DOGSO consideration results in a discussion, such as this one.... it wasn't DOGSO. The key word is 'Obvious'.
Different sides of the pitch can look to the assessor as obvious, but when speaking on the debrief it was not.

Or the Assessors view was blocked. Lots of possibilities to ask about.

At L3, your Assessors will tend to be in a stand with elevated view of incidents. Ground level looks different. Good assessors will talk though what they saw.

Same as careless/reckless tackles at times.

The Referee Store
Maybe it's just me, but this appears to be another thread that's gone down the road of "must give what is expected to please the masses" rather than apply the laws of the game. :confused:

...I see a creeping expectation in the game that any foul from a goalkeeper outside the box is somehow an immediate red card which is clearly not the case.....
This expectation is not helped in the slightest by clueless pundits (who as ex-professionals should know better) attempting to brainwash the mostly uneducated, in terms of the laws of the game, public!

Last edited:
Which is exactly what the baying masses from the oppo were saying to me after I awarded the free kick and moved away to consider the action I was going to take. I was quoted a few "player laws" regarding handball by GK, none of which were correct of course, based on what they had seen/heard on tv.

There's really not much to discuss here. You thought it was going to miss the goal (or there was at least a fair chance of it), so there's no DOGSO. Assessor will take your opinion into consideration and make a judgement on whether you were in the best position or not. Any questions are only answered by 'it's only a red card if it's going in the goal, and this wasn't'.

Which is exactly what the baying masses from the oppo were saying to me after I awarded the free kick and moved away to consider the action I was going to take. I was quoted a few "player laws" regarding handball by GK, none of which were correct of course, based on what they had seen/heard on tv.

I can imagine, I was told by a manager once that a "mate who is a referee" told him that GK handling outside the penalty area was "ALWAYS a red card":rolleyes:

That's nothing. My team once had a PK against us when the goalkeeper carried the ball outside the area.

And I was AR on a match when the ref awarded an IFK for the keeper handling the ball outside the area (I wasn't entirely sure what it was for or I would have alerted him), and the other AR also disagreed with me after the match.

Back