A&H

GK challenge OGSO advantage conundrum

@one and @Ganajin are right. Yes, RC justified in law.As said, I think immediate whistle and RC was an option. However, there was still an OGSO so a RC after a missed shot seems... well harsh.

@CapnBloodbeard Yes, the striker turning on the ball off balance after the contact.

Overall, I still think immediate advantage would have been smart (ish) refereeing followed by YC for the GK based on the guidance above.

But... big but... with the attacker off balance... my brain was processing... once the shot was off then it’s horrible, not advisable, to either signal advantage or blow with the ball in the air (unless you know it’s going in;)).

—Is there an option 4 here: signal advantage when the ball has missed and restart with goal kick and YC for GK... would that have been smarter, because the advantage was expected/implicit because I waited???

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
I think the only way you're winning here is if you gave advantage and he scored the bloody goal. ;)

Whatever option you picked in terms of signalling advantage, bringing it back, or playing safe with the DOSGO-red, I think you're going to get players whinging that it was either two bites of the cherry, never an advantage or that you didn't wait and see.

—Is there an option 4 here: signal advantage when the ball has missed and restart with goal kick and YC for GK... would that have been smarter, because the advantage was expected/implicit because I waited???

I feel that might be too late. The earlier you give it the better probably.

@one and @Ganajin are right. Yes, RC justified in law.As said, I think immediate whistle and RC was an option. However, there was still an OGSO so a RC after a missed shot seems... well harsh.

@CapnBloodbeard Yes, the striker turning on the ball off balance after the contact.

Overall, I still think immediate advantage would have been smart (ish) refereeing followed by YC for the GK based on the guidance above.

But... big but... with the attacker off balance... my brain was processing... once the shot was off then it’s horrible, not advisable, to either signal advantage or blow with the ball in the air (unless you know it’s going in;)).

If he was still off balance then it sounds like he only missed because he was still directly affected by the foul.. Sounds like a textbook example of when to bring play back and do exactly as you did

Its something that always pops up and always brings a good debate, the fact there is so many different views shows how hard it is.

If the player scores he wants the goal, if he misses hes screaming at you that there is no advantage.

That is my option 1 and what I recommended. :)

DOGSO criteria was changed from "moving towards the player’s goal" to "overall movement is towards the offender’s goal" for the specific reason of the OP when attacker is going around a keeper. So no issue for considering it as DOGSO as far as I can see.

I like the fact that you discuss the KMI's with ARs at HT and FT @santa sangria. A very good practice if done the right way. As an AR I have had refs who were willing to have an open minded discussion which has been great. But also had refs who basically wanted a discussion to prove themselves right and having none of any alternate views. A pointless an annoying discussion.

Caution was correct here on the DOGSO incident. The restart for me should have been a goal kick the way it is described. It does sound like two bites at the cherry if it has taken two seconds for the shot to be taken from the foul. It means you decided a slightly off balance (if that) shot on an empty goal is more beneficial than a FK which translates to applying advantage. At that moment I would also do the signal before or as the kick is being taken. The only time I would bring play back for FK is if the shot is virtually as the foul happens or immediately after (less than half a second). It is justified by not having enough time to make a decision on advantage. The antidote to "two bites at the cherry" is to signal advantage as soon as you know the non-offending team is in a more beneficial position even if it is not a clear cut big benefit.

The other point to note to support the argument above, you have proven it was DOGSO, you say you did not play advantage (so you can't apply the reduction of punishment for DOGSO). The offence also turns out to become a SPA since a goal was not scored. Why did you decide to punish the less serious offence of SPA-Y instead of the more serious offence of DOGSO-R?

On another note, it sounds as though you had a long discussion with the coach after the game in which his sole purpose was to criticise (accuse) you. No good can come out of a discussion when a coach approaches you with a critical and "you were wrong" attitude. I'd cut the discussion short and get out of there quickly. On the other hand if a coach is seeking an explanation and moves on once you give it, I'll have all the time in the world for him if he asks for further clarification.

Footnote:
There is a gap between DOGSO application and SPA application which I think will be filled in future. DOGSO punishment is reduced when leading to a goal or when advantage is played (when attempting to DOGSO). No such reduction for SPA. The fact that attempting to SPA is explicitly a caution means even after advantage is played it is still a yellow card and that is very inconsistent with the approach taken for DOGSO.
@one needs a sit down after that post! 😎

Reactions: one
Back