A&H

Getting back into it

Harry Sanger

Level 7 Referee
I began refereeing back in mid 2015. To begin with I enjoyed it, but the constant abuse from both managers and players began to get to me and I haven't reffed a game since around November. I want to get back into it now, however I'm finding it hard as I'm worried that I'll be rusty, and won't be able to referee the game like I used to (I did quite well and did usually receive quite positive feedback), any advice? Does refereeing come back quite quickly after having a break?

The Referee Store
Short answer is yes.

Longer answer involves your confidence and fitness levels and where your head is at :) if they are right, then good to go.

At the end of the day, it's like riding a bike. That occasional swears at you. :D you will be fine mate

I'd suggest that being involved in football more generally is a good way to ease back in. Have you still been watching football on TV and/or playing at all? If so, I'd be surprised if you struggle (mentally at least) with the pace significantly more than you were when you took a break.

If no to the above, I'd suggest that you consider volunteering to do a match or two on the line as a club assistant for a local grassroots team. Most teams at that level have to rope subs into running the line for them and those subs will be grateful to have a few matches off. Tell the club you're a referee looking to get back up to speed - but don't make a big deal about being a qualified ref to the referee on the day and don't expect him to believe you!

When you do get back in the middle, you can really help yourself by being firm on dissent and abuse. Utilise the stepped approach - but if a quiet word doesn't calm things down, don't be afraid to ramp through 2 or 3 steps in response to the same incident until the message sinks in. Whenever I've had a tough match, I can almost always point to a moment where I tried to be diplomatic and would have made my life a lot easier by clamping down a little harder on an early moment of dissent.

I'd suggest that being involved in football more generally is a good way to ease back in. Have you still been watching football on TV and/or playing at all? If so, I'd be surprised if you struggle (mentally at least) with the pace significantly more than you were when you took a break.

If no to the above, I'd suggest that you consider volunteering to do a match or two on the line as a club assistant for a local grassroots team. Most teams at that level have to rope subs into running the line for them and those subs will be grateful to have a few matches off. Tell the club you're a referee looking to get back up to speed - but don't make a big deal about being a qualified ref to the referee on the day and don't expect him to believe you!

When you do get back in the middle, you can really help yourself by being firm on dissent and abuse. Utilise the stepped approach - but if a quiet word doesn't calm things down, don't be afraid to ramp through 2 or 3 steps in response to the same incident until the message sinks in. Whenever I've had a tough match, I can almost always point to a moment where I tried to be diplomatic and would have made my life a lot easier by clamping down a little harder on an early moment of dissent.
I have been watching football regularly, thanks for the advice!

Like riding a bike.

Just age dependant on how your body takes it, but the actual Reffing should come back as if it never left

Just turn up relaxed and confident and it'll be a breeze

Go for it, you will be surprised how quickly you get back into it.

As I said in a previous thread, I "retired" several years ago. Enjoyed the break at first, then after realised after while how much I missed the buzz. Re-registered for the next season "just in case" and nearly 10 months after announcing my retirement, pulled on the all black kit once again.

There was an element of pre-match dread, partly because of the away side's "reputation", but within seconds of blowing the whistle for kick off, knew it was great to be back. Full time, handshakes all-round, no complaints, a few "well done ref" and thought to myself I had absolutely nailed it! :)

Back