A&H

Get the first foul

one

RefChat Addict

This is doing the rounds. I can write two pages about this. But two critical points.
- He should have got at least one of two fouls in the start.
- The cards came out way too late.

The way players and team officials behaved was disgraceful.

The Referee Store
What a mess. There really needed to be a lot of red cards for the player and coaching team behaviour, and you would hope the authorities deal with this severely.

Utterly appalling behaviour.
Referee maintains his cool very well but there was an awful lot more misconduct in there. Think he rushed the review and decision given what was happening.

It was a huge miss on the original foul--he’s looking straight at it from what looks like a decent angle--what led him to not call what was an easy foul call that would have resulted in a relatively harmless FK at midfield?

on the other hand, kudos to his calm demeanor in dealing with total chaos. While more cards were earned, I don’t know that actually giving them would have done anything to improve the situation. Hopefully there will be serious post-game sanctions.

The play also showed a quirk of VAR. Because it pertained to a build up to a goal, the VAR only had to find the foul was clear as that would negate the goal. Once the foul was reviewed, the R is using fresh judgment on whether to card. If he had called the foul, the VAR would have had to conclude it was a clear error not to send off, which may or may not have happened.

What a mess. I feel for the referee but just give the foul and show the card VAR then can help.
115 minute played ( i take it extra time ) just play safe and give the foul.

I think he's done the he got the ball card and not realised the severity of the Contact. Its an easy red on 2nd viewing but we know we don't always catch these in real time, hence the need for VAR.

If I were to look at this clip, I think I wouldn't be looking at the monitor until calm had been restored. He was surrounded by players and management and that isn't a good look.

I'd be saying to captain, VAR is asking me to look. I have to see what he has seen.
I think they knew what was coming as they seem to be really against him looking.
The manager should have been off before the monitor was viewed. He had committed a send off offence in law 12 enter field of play to remonstrate with MO.
A few yellows to restore order, or until order restored, reds if required.

Then view the monitor. Viewing the monitor and giving the decision whilst everyone was in such a hysterical state was only fuelling and already well lit fire.

Could have gone pop again, but manager is gone from the equation, and perhaps some other trouble makers too.

Only glanced at it once and couldn't say who kicked who. Nonetheless, it's an easy whistle cos there's too much force involved from both players.
We need this crazy behaviour to happen in a major high profile game, say the latter stages of Euros. Otherwise FIFA and Confeds will hide forever behind the 'beautiful game 8011ick5'. Let's face it... this hullabaloo is not gonna negatively affect viewing figures for the next rematch. That's all that counts

Last edited:
Quite simply shocking behaviour.

Yes, he missed the severity of the foul, but that doesn’t make it ok for the players to behave in the manner in which they did.

Surely the referee must have been contemplating abandonment?!

Surely the referee must have been contemplating abandonment?!
in a professional match? No, I don‘t think that got to the point of seriously considering abandonment at that level. (Whether it should be is another question. And it would be at lower levels.)

in a professional match? No, I don‘t think that got to the point of seriously considering abandonment at that level. (Whether it should be is another question. And it would be at lower levels.)

At that level, I’d be inclined to agree - hopefully the club gets hit very hard by the authorities.

114 minutes in the ref is obviously fatigued.
I wonder if he's not called that foul because he's got VAR. It looks such an easy decision and he's so well placed.
As soon he starts to walk to the monitor he's got his back to fighting players and he's walking into traffic.
Stand back and let them calm down first.
This clip is odd as it skips the part where he finally looks at the monitor - strange.

As soon as he’s missed the foul, things seem to go downhill. BUT they don’t need to. The use of a yellow and/or a red as soon as players get in the way en route to VAR should calm things.

As an aside I don't think the challenge was actually as bad as it looks. If you slow it down the red player dives in front of the ball with his leg fairly low, the yellow player then slams the ball against his leg which forces it up and that causes the contact. Not saying it wasn't a red card, although whether it would meet the definition of clear and obvious mistake as applied in England I'm not so sure.

As an aside I don't think the challenge was actually as bad as it looks. If you slow it down the red player dives in front of the ball with his leg fairly low, the yellow player then slams the ball against his leg which forces it up and that causes the contact. Not saying it wasn't a red card, although whether it would meet the definition of clear and obvious mistake as applied in England I'm not so sure.
I really don't see how you can not call this a clear and obvious error by any standard. It is an unquestionable foul regardless of color. I see it as red but the sanction here doesn't have to be in question. It was the turnover before a goal and a simple careless foul could also mean a clear and obvious error for review.

How can a raised leg with studs showing (before the ball was kicked) placed in the path of a follow through not be at least careless?

Still images are not everything but it at least tells part of the story.

Screenshot_20210607-004918.jpg

I really don't see how you can not call this a clear and obvious error by any standard. It is an unquestionable foul regardless of color. I see it as red but the sanction here doesn't have to be in question. It was the turnover before a goal and a simple careless foul could also mean a clear and obvious error for review.

How can a raised leg with studs showing (before the ball was kicked) placed in the path of a follow through not be at least careless?

Still images are not everything but it at least tells part of the story.

View attachment 4980

That's after the ball was kicked and the ball hitting his leg brought it up. Prior to that his leg was bent, low to the floor with studs pointing down.

1622993419769.png

You can tell from what happens to his leg after the ball hit his leg, had it been a typical lunging tackle there is no way his foot could have ended up that high. That said, nigh on impossible to spot real time and it would have taken VAR a long time to sort out.

1622993551737.png

That's after the ball was kicked and the ball hitting his leg brought it up. Prior to that his leg was bent, low to the floor with studs pointing down.

View attachment 4981

You can tell from what happens to his leg after the ball hit his leg, had it been a typical lunging tackle there is no way his foot could have ended up that high. That said, nigh on impossible to spot real time and it would have taken VAR a long time to sort out.

View attachment 4982

I had a look this frame by frame. 29 had his leg above ground, straight, with studs pointing in the direction of opponent (not down) before the ball was kicked. Here is better res and closer image. Ball was hit into the ground and made very little contact with 29's leg. The jarring motion of 29's leg was as a result of contact with yellow player shin (not ball). As you say, difficult to spot but VAR would have had higher res and better viewing software/hardware.

Screenshot_20210607-014140__01.jpg

As a side point, had a look at the match report. Out of that incident, 5 and 26 were cautioned. 29 was sent off for the original challenge. The match had 10 yellow cards in total.

Personally, I don't think VAR monitor should be near benches. There is a US team whose monitor is virtually in line with the 18 yard box. If any bench members then come to give grief, its an obvious card. But despite giving grief, they're within (more or less) their designated area - well, except the ones that ended up on the pitch

Back