A&H

Game winning goal-keeper goal kick

RefIADad

RefChat Addict
Hope the link and video work. This happened in my game Tuesday night. High school boys game, we were in the second period of golden goal extra time (all high school games in my home state of Iowa play 40 minute halves with 2 10 minute halves of golden goal followed by KTFM if still tied-yes, it’s dumb to have regular season games go to extra time). Keeper lines up for a goal kick, and scores the game winning goal.

Yes, the ball was moving. The wind was blowing 30 MPH from left to right as you watch the video. I told the captains and coaches that as long as they made an attempt to keep the ball still, we would consider non-blatant movement on a dead ball as trifling. We had a play where a kid tried to keep a corner kick ball still for 20-30 seconds with zero success.

The Referee Store
Allow me to ask the obvious question: what was the other goalkeeper doing?!
He misjudged the wind. He was well off his line, as he had been doing all night. The ball was caught in the wind off the bounce, and he just misjudged it.

It’s usually windy in the US Midwest during the spring, but this has been an even windier than normal spring. There have been a few games postponed because the wind made play virtually impossible.

Back