A&H

Gabriel - Arsenal vs Watford

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Anyone see the Arsenal vs Watford FA Cup QF?

During the first half, Arsenal's Gabriel dives in 2 footed for a 50/50 with Watford's Troy Deeney, gets nowhere near the ball, got plenty on Deeney's shin. Referee Andre Marriner, who had an unobstructed view, decided it wasn't even worthy of a free kick.

Not often I agree with Robbie Savage, but looked a stonewall red card to me! :eek:

Last edited:
The Referee Store
It was a naughty one. Lucky boy in many ways to either not get sent off or to damage the Watford player. :)

Red card every day of the week. I can't quite work out why it wasn't given, he was looking straight at it!

Got the ball first......momentum carried him through......

You cannae change the laws of physics Jim.

looked 50/50 from refs view. Watford player went in just as much as Arsenal player.
Yeah, that's what struck me too. From the first view on the clip, it looks awful, but when you rewatch and see other angles, the Watford player doesn't exactly look in control either. Given that, and that there was contact with the ball, I can understand why the referee could convince himself not to get the cards out.

I think the referee went with 'mutual foul'. The only difference between the two was that one player left the ground. Both were very dangerous challenges, but went in full speed with studs raised at the opponent.

but given one jumped, that pushes it to a red card for me. Had he avoided the tackle entirely, I'd be pushing for a FK in his favour and a YC to the opponent.

Back