A&H

Funny things players say #april15 edition

The Referee Store
He'd literally opened his mouth looking right at me, and was about to continue with the demeanour he'd shown all game.

It's called being pro-active.

I was doing a 9-a-side game about a month ago and the 'Keeper went down with an injury, the ball had left the FOP so as the manager etc came on to help him out. Needless to say my watch was stopped by now and on of the red team parents calls out to me 'How long left ref?' my [stopped] watch read 25 mins so I told him there was 5 left of the half. After about 3/4 minutes the goalie goes off and is replaced. So the game is started again along with my watch and the game goes along as normal. On about 28 mins the yellows score to take the lead and the parent starts shouting at me, proclaiming that he had never seen a longer 5 minutes.

At half time he came over and further complained so I asked if he wanted to check my watch and I got the classic 'I'm tired of hearing your rubbish... I don't care what you/you watch say(s)'

Would fit the "As seen on TV" section

After OM-PSG, ref Rudy Buquet sent off André Ayew (who was on the 11 but then substituted) by showing him a second YC for dissent (they were still on the pitch, Ayew came from the bench to face the ref) then the RC.
Striker Gignac said in front of the ref "what are you sending him off for ?? Can't be dissent he was on the bench !"

Erf

I was doing a 9-a-side game about a month ago and the 'Keeper went down with an injury, the ball had left the FOP so as the manager etc came on to help him out. Needless to say my watch was stopped by now and on of the red team parents calls out to me 'How long left ref?' my [stopped] watch read 25 mins so I told him there was 5 left of the half. After about 3/4 minutes the goalie goes off and is replaced. So the game is started again along with my watch and the game goes along as normal. On about 28 mins the yellows score to take the lead and the parent starts shouting at me, proclaiming that he had never seen a longer 5 minutes.

At half time he came over and further complained so I asked if he wanted to check my watch and I got the classic 'I'm tired of hearing your rubbish... I don't care what you/you watch say(s)'

The eternal trick question. your fault for saying five minutes to be fair ;)

The eternal trick question. your fault for saying five minutes to be fair ;)
"5 minutes once this ball's back in play". Problem solved!

Oh, and the "shut up and go away" comment - brilliant! I've used it and I like it! Players want to be kn*bs to me, I'll be far worse to them!

Teams after behaving appalling throughout and getting many cautions: "You've ruined this game ref"
Er....yeah okay

Reactions: Oli
Had a good u17 cup final yesterday, lots of banter with the players. Offside and the attacker stands in front of the free kick. I tell him to step away otherwise he's going in the book. He genuinely said, as he was backing up, "I wont get booked for that." My response was "trust me fella I'm the one with the cards in my pocket and I've got a pretty good idea what you will and won't get booked for!"

dave, i'm sure he meant 'i won't get booked for that so i will do as you say immediately, ref'

Back