A&H

Fulham v Barnsley

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict

Barnsley pen for 1st goal - Fulham GK a little fortunate not to be sent off here do we think?

Its certainly not a genuine attempt for the ball in my view, but I suppose the mitigating circumstances are that the attacker doesn't have the ball under control and technically not moving towards goal - but surely the latter is only because Fulham GK is holding him?!

Anyone else think red would have been justified here?

The Referee Store
I think it’s the fumble that does it for him. Has the ball, loses it tries to regather it, can’t and then pulls the attacker out of the way. The attacker is leaning in, possibly impeding him too.

There are three plausible outcomes here and I wouldn’t have argued with any of them

1: Penalty as given (no DOGSO)
2: Penalty and DOGSO for holding
3: Defensive free kick for impeding the GK.

I don't understand how a professional referee can make an error in law as obvious as this. Once the PK is awarded, there's simply no halfway house

I don't understand how a professional referee can make an error in law as obvious as this. Once the PK is awarded, there's simply no halfway house
Because the referee saw it once from a completely different angle to the camera and with potential players getting in the way etc?

It's entirely plausible that depending on the referees position in relation to the foul that he saw the collision between the keeper, Barnsley player and the defender but didn't see the keeper pull the player back.

You might expect the assistant to see it, but it looks like the they would have been looking at the keepers back, so might not have had a decent view of it either.

Because the referee saw it once from a completely different angle to the camera and with potential players getting in the way etc?

It's entirely plausible that depending on the referees position in relation to the foul that he saw the collision between the keeper, Barnsley player and the defender but didn't see the keeper pull the player back.

You might expect the assistant to see it, but it looks like the they would have been looking at the keepers back, so might not have had a decent view of it either.

??? - Must have seen the pull back because he gave the pen - no other offence there?

??? - Must have seen the pull back because he gave the pen - no other offence there?
Not from our angle, but from where the ref was, who can say.

If he saw the pull then it has to be a red card, he didn't give a red card so either he saw something else and didn't feel it met the criteria for DOGSO, or he dropped a massive clanger.

I know as much as everyone else, I was merely offering up something other than immediately accusing the ref of being wrong in law.

Not from our angle, but from where the ref was, who can say.

If he saw the pull then it has to be a red card, he didn't give a red card so either he saw something else and didn't feel it met the criteria for DOGSO, or he dropped a massive clanger.

I know as much as everyone else, I was merely offering up something other than immediately accusing the ref of being wrong in law.

Well tbf I wasn't accusing him of anything - in fact I offered up two possible reasons why it wasn't DOGSO - it was those reasons I was asking for comment on really - I'm not a fan of either club so its not a fans rant!

Well tbf I wasn't accusing him of anything - in fact I offered up two possible reasons why it wasn't DOGSO - it was those reasons I was asking for comment on really - I'm not a fan of either club so its not a fans rant!

I didn't say you did.

But, there aren't many options, he either saw the pull but didn't feel it met the requirements for DOGSO. He saw (or thought he saw) something else and didn't think that met the criteria for DOGSO. Or he dropped a clanger.

I think red for the pull is a strong shout, but the player didn't have control of the ball, and there was another defender past the keeper (31?), So the referee might have felt the player had too much to do for it to be an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

I didn't say you did.

But, there aren't many options, he either saw the pull but didn't feel it met the requirements for DOGSO. He saw (or thought he saw) something else and didn't think that met the criteria for DOGSO. Or he dropped a clanger.

I think red for the pull is a strong shout, but the player didn't have control of the ball, and there was another defender past the keeper (31?), So the referee might have felt the player had too much to do for it to be an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

Yes that's what I thought. I wanted to discuss the actual decision, I like this referee, have seen him live several times, and don't hold any candle for either team so wanted to dicuss the law surrounding the incident rather than anything else!

The referee definitely sees it clearly, he even makes a grabbing type motion to indicate to the keeper what he has given. I would assume that he didn't think it was DOGSO because the attacker wasn't in control of the ball and there were two covering defenders. Not sure I agree with that, but I can't think of any other reason.

Yeah, I would have thought DOSGO-red for holding.

Must be the lack of control and proximity of the keeper/defender that swung it?

I would have gone red but I can see arguments for yellow because of not having the control and the goal line defender.

Don't let the goal line defender trick you into giving a yellow. If that was a centre back pulling down the attacker with just the goalkeeper on the line, what would you give?

It just looks a clumsy ****-up by the keeper, not sure a red would enter your brain as you see it in real time.

Back