A&H

Friendly

JonA

Hello. Question on behalf of my 14yo, who has recently done his course (making two referees in the family now - proud dad moment!). On Saturday he refereed an U11s friendly between two affliated teams (arranged because neither had a league fixture scheduled). Would this match count towards his five post-course qualification matches; and would it need to be submitted on the WGS as league/cup matches are? Thanks!

The Referee Store
Hello. Question on behalf of my 14yo, who has recently done his course (making two referees in the family now - proud dad moment!). On Saturday he refereed an U11s friendly between two affliated teams (arranged because neither had a league fixture scheduled). Would this match count towards his five post-course qualification matches; and would it need to be submitted on the WGS as league/cup matches are? Thanks!
I believe it should count, although it's worth contacting the RDO for the county to check and also to make them aware that he has done that game, because the second part is, no, it does not need reporting on WGS. If he has any discipline to report then do so in an email to the county FA also.

The learning point is that he should only accept friendlies after clearing the game in advance with his Appointments Secretary; if that is done, the game has more chance of being accepted as one of the five. The requirements for the five games vary by county, with a minimum number featuring offside being agreed locally.

The learning point is that he should only accept friendlies after clearing the game in advance with his Appointments Secretary; if that is done, the game has more chance of being accepted as one of the five. The requirements for the five games vary by county, with a minimum number featuring offside being agreed locally.
Excellent, thanks. Yes, only games with offside count towards the five where we are - currently all the matches he's done are U11 so 9v9 and with offside. Thanks for the tip.

I always thought that the 5 games HAD to have offside and 2/3 observations, but I did 5 mini soccer matches with no matchday coach (other than one who rocked up to watch the game as he was also club sec. and told me I did really well - unofficial) and still got my certificate and County FA badge in the post so obviously where I am it doesn't matter.

I always thought that the 5 games HAD to have offside and 2/3 observations, but I did 5 mini soccer matches with no matchday coach (other than one who rocked up to watch the game as he was also club sec. and told me I did really well - unofficial) and still got my certificate and County FA badge in the post so obviously where I am it doesn't matter.

I don't think there's any requirement to be watched in your 5 games. I certainly wasn't.

It differs from county FA to county FA. For me, with Worcestershire FA, I had to be observed by a mentor in at least one game and I had to officiate 5 league or cup games. I know for a fact they didn't allow friendlies because I tried to submit my five games for Level 7, and one was a friendly, and it was rejected on that basis.

As others have said, contact your local RDO, they might be happy with it. I don't see why it shouldn't count, although I suppose with official matches they have access to manager reports about the fixture.

Back