A&H

Free kick taken from the wrong place

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
So, City Liverpool, first goal, quick free kick, taken 6 yards from the foul, cross, goal.

The one time I have had a video assessment, I had a quick free kick, taken 5 yards from the foul. Cross. Goal. It got marked as a major error (I got 7,7 for the match, that incident lead to loss of control).

So, for me, Taylor has dropped a clanger there. And it’s c&o in the build up to a goal. I understand it would probably be the first time VAR would have called back a quick FK taken from the wrong place… but still…

A&H International
Not for me, the expectation at senior levels is just let them get on with it as long as it isn't miles from the wrong place. Liverpool didn't complain, in pulling that back he would just be surprising everyone.

Liverpool didn't complain
Taylor got lucky there. If Liverpool had complained he would have had no good option there. Nine out of ten in my games (and many others), I get surrounded for this if I allow it. Best practice is just stop it if taken from that far away. A little annoyance but much easier to manage than allowing a 'bad' goal.

It was what, 5 metres or less from where the foul was, that happens in almost every senior game in England and the players are fine with it. Really don't see a problem here.

As always, no point comparing the EPL to the lower tiers.

They're refereeing a different game, with different expectations than what we're getting, including a more loosely applied law book half the times!

Interesting how Taylor in the second half pointed a few times for DFKs ti be taken from the right place!

I think Hendo missed a trick here - probably distracted by Fab’s slack start to the game - if Hendo appealed early then i think Taylor brings it back.

Considering the about amount of fouls in the Premier League that occur by the edge of the pitch, but the free kick ends up being taken in line with the penalty area and absolutely nothing gets said, 5 yards is nothing!

Generally I agree these are let go, but in this specific case, that extra 5 yards is key to the player getting the distance around the defender. Fabinho is struggling to catch the attacker as he moves sideways to create space for the shot, pull it back 5 yards and I literally think that opportunity doesn't exist if the ball starts from the correct position.

Generally I agree these are let go, but in this specific case, that extra 5 yards is key to the player getting the distance around the defender. Fabinho is struggling to catch the attacker as he moves sideways to create space for the shot, pull it back 5 yards and I literally think that opportunity doesn't exist if the ball starts from the correct position.
This.

I am willing to ignore 10 yards if it doesn't have an impact on outcome. But the outcome here, a big KMI, is directly achieved by taking the free kick from a clearly wrong place.

This.

I am willing to ignore 10 yards if it doesn't have an impact on outcome. But the outcome here, a big KMI, is directly achieved by taking the free kick from a clearly wrong place.
I assume its how you know its a KMI and at what point are you going to bring it back.
If you're bringing it back that needs to be pretty immediate.
If a goal was not scored then I expect that this thread would be a lot shorter and the 2nd thread wouldnt even exist.

Edit: just realised this is the FK thread not the MC V Liv thread 🤣

Generally what is taught here is that in the defensive third to not give too much attention to FK placement. As the play moves further up the field then the referee will be more and more pedantic about where the FK is positioned and around the PA its generally a selected blade of grass where the offence occurred.
I suppose a bit like the RAG for advantage applied to how specific the ref is on FK placement.

I assume its how you know its a KMI and at what point are you going to bring it back.
If you're bringing it back that needs to be pretty immediate.
If a goal was not scored then I expect that this thread would be a lot shorter and the 2nd thread wouldnt even exist.

Edit: just realised this is the FK thread not the MC V Liv thread 🤣
Well it's not just worth a risk in an attacking position. I would have called this straight away as it created a promising attack immediately. If it was kicked back to the full back in own half then I would have let it go.

Good point here.

Good point here.
Fab and Hendo were taken out of the game. What was telling for me was Taylor in the second half, pointing at a couple of DFKs.

As said, I think it was a massive clanger, and the half time coverage here did actually catch it (Viaplay put lines/circles etc. on and highlighted how far from the foul it was taken). I am surprised none of the UK media seemed to bother. And I would love to have been privvy to the half time refs’ dressing room chat! I think they got away with it TBH;)

Fab and Hendo were taken out of the game. What was telling for me was Taylor in the second half, pointing at a couple of DFKs.

As said, I think it was a massive clanger, and the half time coverage here did actually catch it (Viaplay put lines/circles etc. on and highlighted how far from the foul it was taken). I am surprised none of the UK media seemed to bother. And I would love to have been privvy to the half time refs’ dressing room chat! I think they got away with it TBH;)

And that is the point. No complaints from opposing players. No complaints from opposition managers and coaches. No complaints or even comments from commentators or pundits. In fact apart from referees no one has commented on it. Lots of talk of what the game expects, the game at that level expects the quick free kick to be allowed as it was here, hence why there wasn't a single moan about it.

Back