A&H

Free kick after drop ball?

Mike Spice

Level 7 Referee
U12s today, drop ball situation. Blue player kicks ball before the bounce. Take it again. He does it again. I take it a 3rd time with a different player. Should I have given an indirect fk against Blue for the 2nd drop ball?

The Referee Store
I could be wrong on this (and please correct me if I am) but I *believe* the ball isn't in play until it has touched the floor. So no IDFK, just continually retake until they get it right.

Had a somewhat similar issue today with a throw-in where yellow took three attempts for the ball to finally come into play. Benches calling for a foul throw after the second one but as the ball hasn't come into play it's a simple retake until it comes into play.

Good trick that I've found works quite well, just before you drop the ball ask both players to take a step back. As they do so, drop the ball and sod off out the way so you don't get hit.

Not a bad idea. But yeah - you can't change a DB to an IFK. It's a possible caution, but moreso for adults - obviously you just want to manage the young players when it's just a bit too much enthusiasm.

Good trick that I've found works quite well, just before you drop the ball ask both players to take a step back. As they do so, drop the ball and sod off out the way so you don't get hit.
I did exactly this last weekend... Drop ball... Messed up... 2nd go... Messed up... 3rd go... Fellas will you step back a second please, drop it, off we go :)

Back