A&H

Frankfurt vs West Ham

The Referee Store
Same, I was very surprised to see him go yellow on the highlights. My only theory is the bouncing ball could be difficult to control, but I don't think that's enough to downgrade for me.

wont be a fine or ban unless the ref dealt with it at the time

but again it shows the gulf between those at the top and the rest of us who would happily, without a seconds thought, dismiss / misconduct report for this

wont be a fine or ban unless the ref dealt with it at the time

but again it shows the gulf between those at the top and the rest of us who would happily, without a seconds thought, dismiss / misconduct report for this
(I assume) it's after leaving the FoP after the end of the match, so very much down to UEFA whether the referee has reported it or not - especially as it's caught on camera!

(I assume) it's after leaving the FoP after the end of the match, so very much down to UEFA whether the referee has reported it or not - especially as it's caught on camera!

still on the ref to report as misconduct (assuming he heard it)

Didn’t watch the game and I’ve only seen the red card, and I was suprised that the referee had to go to VAR to make the call. But Declan Rice wasn’t too happy, fine or possibly a ban incoming?
No surprise whatsoever. Just leave it to true Senior Referee.... the 'new normal'

I really don't know why anyone would expect the R to immediately identify DOGSO when there's any doubt whatsoever
Then the other C&O can of worms is opened and we end up with the wrong outcome as often as not

Last edited:
I think as others have said, the bouncing ball may of put an element of doubt in the referees mind and a yellow card felt the safe option, once it goes to the monitor, it would be difficult not to overturn your decision.

As for Rice's comments, disgraceful really, I don't think the ref had all that eventful game really apart from a couple of flare ups. I assume Moyes will get a touchline ban for his red card(maybe more considering what he did) and Rice should and hopefully will be banned got what he said especially as its been caught on camera.

I can only think the ref didn’t go red because of VAR and the occasion. It was so clear.
I mean, this works both ways. If he goes red and it's a wrong decision, VAR is still there to bail him out regardless.

And if he's gone with what he thinks is the wrong decision on the assumption VAR will help him, he's going to lose more marks in his observation than simply making the right call in the first place.

Bottling a big decision is a pressure on every referee at every level, I don't buy that VAR has made it worse - it just means that when a referee does have that moment of doubt, the right decision is generally reached regardless.

Why not? It happened all the time before VAR - this is literally why it was decided that VAR was needed, because referee decisions weren't good enough. Why would it suddenly stop now?

I mean, this works both ways. If he goes red and it's a wrong decision, VAR is still there to bail him out regardless.
yes and no. VAR only bails out a clearly wrong red. I think there is pressure on Rs to only be giving clear reds. And I think that makes some refs gun shy, as they don’t want to give a red that is mostly wrong, but not clearly wrong such that VAR would save them—and they then have a team playing short on a soft red.

Back