A&H

Foul throws

A&H International
This is not a foul throw. The foot comes up after the ball is released/thrown.

The law only requires the 3 provisions for a correct throw in to be "at the moment of delivering the ball" so any secondary lifting of the feet, as in this clip, is permissible.

I was watching that with interest last night too and couldn't quite work out whether or not the position of his feet at the moment of throwing the ball was compliant with Law 15. As David has already said above, it maybe looks slightly dodgy but if you recall, the AR on that side had already flagged for a "foul throw" for a foot over the line earlier in the game (which the referee penalised) so my guess is that he was watching these throws of Forest's very closely ... ;)

This is not a foul throw. The foot comes up after the ball is released/thrown.

The law only requires the 3 provisions for a correct throw in to be "at the moment of delivering the ball" so any secondary lifting of the feet, as in this clip, is permissible.
Back foot looks clearly up to me up and this is one frame before releasing it.

Screenshot_20240829-185657.jpg

I think his toes are still on the ground there. Either way, at that level of football if you're calling a foul throw it has to be pretty clear!
That throw looks so bad it has to be called for poor entertainment.

There is no way you can accurately tell from that blurry still.

Like I said, the AR had a much better view of it than we do and was happy with it ...
Next frame, laws of physics, biomechanics and geometry don't just add up if his back foot is touching the ground. Front leg on his toes straight and leaning forward. Back leg can't be touching the ground unless it's two feet longer than the front leg. Yeah I know, ARs at that level don't make mistakes. 😉

Screenshot_20240829-191550.jpg

Back foot looks clearly up to me up and this is one frame before releasing it
You don't moonlight as a VAR by any chance... no?
You could double down by claiming your observation is indeed FACT, thereby brainwashing us half wits with your incontrovertible truth 😀

Last edited:
Next frame, laws of physics, biomechanics and geometry don't just add up if his back foot is touching the ground. Front leg on his toes straight and leaning forward. Back leg can't be touching the ground unless it's two feet longer than the front leg. Yeah I know, ARs at that level don't make mistakes. 😉

View attachment 7518
Still can't tell. Only presume.

Play on!!

I can do it frame by frame and can easily tell that at the point of throwing both feet are on the ground before then one being raised.

Two thoughts:

1) The U.S. Soccer Federation did a great video called The Myths of The Game, covering, among other things, throw-ins. Multiple slow-mo videos are shown to make it clear that in most instances, the ball has left the hands before the foot comes up. (Don't shoot the messenger, please !)

2) For issues such as this, I am reminded of the famous admonition from an old Decisions of the IFAB document, something that Ken Aston made every new American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO) referee read and reflect upon (when he retired from FIFA/FA to train AYSO referees in California):

“The Laws of the Game are intended to provide that games should be played with as little interference as possible, and in this view, it is the duty of referees to penalize only deliberate breaches of the Law. Constant whistling for trifling and doubtful breaches produces bad feeling and loss of temper on the part of the players and spoils the pleasure of spectators.”

A blatantly illegal throw needs to be recognized and sanctioned, but how often do blatantly-illegal throws really occur?

Just sayin'...

I’ve changed tack on throws. I’m doing a lot of mens lower league with mixed ability players. Any attacking throw in about to be launched into the box gets a “do it right” or similar. This makes it much easier to follow up with a foul throw call and IMHO makes it more likely the thrower will do it right. YMMV

At senior levels they are only going to be penalising foul throws if it is very obvious. Can't tell from those stills whether part of the foot was still touching the floor at the time of release, so happy enough with it being allowed.

Also have to take into account that the same AR had signalled a foul throw earlier in the game where a player had all of one foot on the pitch, so not as if he was just ignoring throws and letting them do what they want.

Back