A&H

Foul after offside

Hi everyone,

I am a 15 year old referee from Australia and love the fount of knowledge available through this forum. I know many of you are doing it tough during lockdown and hope you are able to get back onto the pitch soon! We are thinking of you.,.

Anyway... doing a pre-season U16s game on the weekend and find myself a few seconds late to pick up an off-side signalled by my AR.

While I am processing the situation and about to pull up the game, a defender in the penalty area brings down the striker from behind. Actually, this foul occurs almost simultaneously with my offside whistle.

It’s not dangerous (but possibly reckless) and a penalty every day of the week. It would have been DOGSO if the offside had not occurred.

in the moment, I am torn about what to do but end up bringing the game back to the off-side event and have a word to the defender about the tackle. No caution or other sanction for the defender. I am not the striker’s best friend!

So... questions... based on my description was this the correct decision and could I have cautioned the defender for unsporting behaviour even if his tacked might have occurred a second or two before / after the whistle for offside was blown?

The Referee Store
Since OS ended play, it's not a foul, as you recognized. While misconduct can occur when the ball is out of play, you can't have DOGSO or SPAA. So it really depends on how bad the physical act is. You say possibly reckless. That sounds to me like you did the right thing by having a word with him. If I'm going to caution someone for something that happened after another event stops play, I want it to be clear, and it doesn't sound like you thought it was clearly a reckless foul.

(And I'm totally jealous that you have games to do . . . .)

Since OS ended play, it's not a foul, as you recognized. While misconduct can occur when the ball is out of play, you can't have DOGSO or SPAA. So it really depends on how bad the physical act is. You say possibly reckless. That sounds to me like you did the right thing by having a word with him. If I'm going to caution someone for something that happened after another event stops play, I want it to be clear, and it doesn't sound like you thought it was clearly a reckless foul.

(And I'm totally jealous that you have games to do . . . .)
Thanks Social lurker. That is very helpful. We have truthfully been very lucky here in Oz. Hopefully you can all get out there again soon...

Back