A&H

forgot to pack my patience today

SM

The avuncular one
First top division match today after my promotion last season. Massive anti-climax as home team came to play, the away team just wanted soft decisions from me to make up for their lack of ability or effort.

The home team win 6-1, I am blamed for the first two goals. The first goal was from a corner, attacker has a free run to the edge of the 6 yard box and gets to the ball before the keeper, goal. Defenders did not move but are shouting for a freekick because there was contact with the goal keeper. Apparently, it now doesn't matter that the striker clearly got to the ball first. Could be argued the keeper clattered the attacker. That is my fault of course.

The second goal is from a freekick, so I am in a great position to see the offside line for myself. Ball comes over, flick on, defenders don't bother to move but shout for offside, CAR puts up the flag in response as the ball flies into the net. :rolleyes: Nice try, but no cigar. Goal.

The away teams sportsmanship is really poor throughout, as is their managers who shouts at me from the sideline a couple of times before I shout loudly at him to shut up. This isn't really my style, I am more of a sarcastic quip kind of referee. Game ends with just the 1 caution to the badly behaved team, they heed my very public warning at the beginning of the second half that if they don't tone it down I will rain down cards on them like confetti.

After the match the away manager comes on and sidles in to shake my hand and he says something before trying to walk away quickly. I usually don't pay a lot of attention when this happens, just let them have their brave little moment. BUT not today! Today I call him back and ask him if he has something to say, before moving so I am towering over him (me 6 foot 6, him a tubby little 5'6) - he says in as big a voice as he can manage "you had a poor game today ref". Now this is not the worst thing I have ever had said to me, I would usually just thank whoever it is for their opinion and forget about it. Water off a ducks back. BUT not today. Today I am telling him how poor I thought the sportsmanship is of him personally and his team. :confused: I was nice and calm for the most part throughout the game, I guess his words were the straw that broke the camels back.

And the moral of this story: I managed to suffer a very minor concussion on Wednesday whilst at work (headaches and fluffy head). I need to bear in mind that if I get a concussion in future (hopefully not, even minor ones suck!) then be aware that it makes me more aggressive and have little patience when given negative feedback!

The Referee Store
Mate, my game last Tuesday was the same except rather than the players it was the idiots stood on the side, there were so many of them I couldn't identify which pillock was shouting the other. Came very close to loosing my cool. Not sure what it is about the away team but every time I ref them I get constant grief from the side.

Your lucky you're the size you are because I find it certainly stops a certain amount of moaning off players. I'm 5"6' so sucks to be me lol. The thing to bear in mind is moaning players doesn't stop as you progress upwards. Some teams I have found when playing teams they think are beneath them will simply blame you to mask their rubbish play.

I have probably the biggest moaners in Division One v a semi decent team next weekend, so I'm expecting a similar afternoon to what you had today.

Needless to say refereeing with a concussion is probably a bad idea.

But like Matty I wish I had the 6foot 6 advantage. I'm 5foot 8, or 5foot 11 if my wife asks, so dont have the advantage of much of a presence.

It's also great for seeing over small players!

I've been checked over at a+e when it happened - they said it was fine. They gave me a leaflet about whiplash and I was thinking, meh don't need that just a bit stiff. That night in bed, trying to sleep was torture and so I read the leaflet which gave advice about pillows! Lol

6 6 and your brushing off a concussion like its nothing, proper 'ard! When I grow up I want to be as tough as you!

I had a women's league match last season wherein I, as you say, "forgot to pack my patience". Away team wants a penalty and a red card for a soft challenge, I say no way and give a goal kick. The ball goes down the other side of the field, home team scores a goal which the away team want me to call offside (the player ran unchecked behind all of the defenders who had, for some reason, come way over to the right side, from about 15 yards onside and took a pretty impressive shot to score). Cue one player (the captain/manager) coming over to me and saying she thought my decisions was "total crap" -- I cautioned her; another player comes over and says "I don't think you're a bad ref, but the last two calls have been bulls**t" -- I cautioned her. A third player comes over and says "Ref that was f**king bulls**t" -- I sent her off for OFFINABUS. The manager/captain clapped me after I sent the other player off -- I cautioned her again. In the space of about 15 seconds, I gave out 2 reds and four cautions. Not my finest moment, and I wasn't even concussed ;)

6 6 and your brushing off a concussion like its nothing, proper 'ard! When I grow up I want to be as tough as you!
There are many grades of concussion. If it was more serious I can imagine it would be horrible and I would have been instructed to so nothing but rest as even at its most minor it is not fun. I was lucky to have a really minor version.

Back