A&H

Forest Green V Mansfield

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Seeing on twitter this game has been abandoned due to weather.
Now I've seen pictures of warm up and it looks perfectly fine.
But the kick off was delayed by 10 (and then a further 5) minutes because of fog.
FGR put a tweet about a shot after 1 minute and literally said "didn't see who it was though".
After just 4 minutes the refs stopped play and delayed the game by another 10 minutes.
Then finally, at 815, he has abandoned it.

Personally, I'd not have started the game if the fog is as bad as this to a point delaying kick off and then stopping after 4 minutes.

Screenshot_20220118-205303_Twitter.jpg

The Referee Store
Problem is that once everyone gets there for the match, as a referee the pressure is really on you to try to get the game on.

Fog is a pain as well, because unlike a waterlogged or frozen pitch, it can easily make a fool out of you. You postpone before kick off and half an hour later it's cleared up and you're the bad guy.

Personally I hate fog more than anything else for that very simple reason.

Problem is that once everyone gets there for the match, as a referee the pressure is really on you to try to get the game on.

Fog is a pain as well, because unlike a waterlogged or frozen pitch, it can easily make a fool out of you. You postpone before kick off and half an hour later it's cleared up and you're the bad guy.

Personally I hate fog more than anything else for that very simple reason.
Exactly that. It isn't like snow, ice or rain where you can make an early decision, with fog you never really know. Once spectators are at the ground the referee will be expected to give it every chance to get a game played.

Infamous incident about ten year ago here, top flight game
1330, like scene from acopolyptic movie, just like walkng in clouds
1345. Lifted slightly, can now see from pen spot to the near goal
1400 standing on half way, cant see either goalframe, or AR flags with them being waved on touchline
delayed opening gates, players not yet out for warm up.
1415, decision time. Off
1430, leaving stadium, clearer than was 15 min ago, a maybe ( had it not already been called off)
1445. Fog lifted whole pitch visible
1500. Prob the nicest sunniest day the town had all year. 5000 dumbfounded punters wondering why they are heading home to watch Jeff Stelling.

Both the Forest Green and Mansfield managers have fully backed the referee. He delayed kick off for 15 minutes to see if conditions improved, and then after taking the players off waited some more time to see if the fog lifted, and only abandoned when it didn't. The managers were saying that their wingers couldn't see each other, and when the ball was in the air they couldn't see it in the fog and had to guess where it was going to land, so I suspect players were on at the referee to abandon.

I'm only surprised that it started, if the wingers can't see each other there is no way the ARs can see the far touchlines.

Back