The Ref Stop

footwear

nile145

Hi

A bit of help please, refereeing game tomorrow that has been moved from all-weather pitch to Grass...

Pitch still listed as all-weather but from experience I know at least two or three kids will arrive with trainers on.. My gut feeling is too dangerous but law 4 Players equipment “footwear”.

There is a more senior rearranged match on the all-weather at same time.

My feeling any player wearing trainers will be a danger to themselves and others? Any advice please

The Ref Stop
I had a game recently where a couple of players turned up in trainers, and I've let them play.
For me, it depends on the age, skill level, and type of trainers (all leather vs canvas). Realistically, many boots offer little protection these days, so biggest risk may come from lack of traction.

Ultimately though, it will be up to you to decide whether you believe their footwear is safe.
If you do let them play, I would be sure to mention to both sets of coaches and telling them of the fact, but also saying to the players coach that if during the game, you change your mind, they will need to be replaced. Get their agreement on that before giving the all clear (but that might be tricky to manage).

there's nothing inherently unsafe about wearing trainers on a muddy pitch, silly perhaps and unwise, but the worst you'll do is slip over. think the law is mainly aimed at sharp blades / metal suds which could be unsafe to others on the pitch

excellent thanks for coming back...
I have let kids play before but that was in the summer with firm ground.. Im worried with kids slipping and sliding into each other...
hopefully league will inform the teams its moved to grass pitch.

Perhaps a quick message or email from you to both teams would be beneficial all round?

"Hi guys, I've been informed the match between x and y is now on grass not astro. Can we ensure all players have appropriate boots for grass please?"

(Up to you how specific you go with the "appropriate boots")

Perhaps a quick message or email from you to both teams would be beneficial all round?

"Hi guys, I've been informed the match between x and y is now on grass not astro. Can we ensure all players have appropriate boots for grass please?"

(Up to you how specific you go with the "appropriate boots")
Thanks thats probaly the best suggestion.... at least they been told

Don't over complicate this. There is absolutely no requirement that players have cleats/studs. It would be very overly officious to tell a player they can't play because you don't think they have enough traction. If it results in them committing fouls, just call the fouls. Unless they get to the level of open toed shoes, sandals, or flip flops really no issue at all. Any athletic-type shoe (that doesn't have spikes that would hurt someone else) shoe be accepted by the ref.

Don't over complicate this. There is absolutely no requirement that players have cleats/studs. It would be very overly officious to tell a player they can't play because you don't think they have enough traction. If it results in them committing fouls, just call the fouls. Unless they get to the level of open toed shoes, sandals, or flip flops really no issue at all. Any athletic-type shoe (that doesn't have spikes that would hurt someone else) shoe be accepted by the ref.
Thanks socal lurker. will take on board law 4 does not indicate what type of footwear..

I think it is a push to say that wearing trainers on a 3G pitch is dangerous. I always referee on 3G in running trainers, as long as the venue doesn't prohibit it, and I don't recall slipping. Obviously playing is different to refereeing but I still don't see any reason to prohibit trainers and mandate astroturf boots.

Back